Menu Load Error

- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

stories/222/images/SLC_Title.jpg

 

Matilda's tale of woe continues,

by putting together pieces of the puzzle, from those who care about her.

It’s time to say goodbye to Ogre Daddy.

 

I would like to thank my dear friends,

Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W and Holly Logan

for their kindness, help, support and input.

 

 

 

 

Raised In SLC

Chapter 10

 

 

 

By Penny Reed Cardon

 

 

 

7:00am the same morning.

 

“Mom I can’t get Matilda to wake up and her door is locked!” a concerned Rachael, told her Mother.

“Rachael, don’t you mean Matt? And his door is locked,” asked Edith sadly, almost in tears, as she remembered the events of the last eight weeks, and especially the previous evening.

“Well I’m not sure who is in the bedroom across from mine.  You see late last night, well, actually, I guess it was somewhere between 2:00 and 3:00 this morning, Matilda quietly came into my room and woke me up.  She was very careful not to wake Karen.  She wanted to borrow some of my underwear.  She also wanted the blue satin dress that she wore to Mary Beth’s birthday party, along with her wig and makeup.  I didn’t know what was going on, I was half-asleep.  I just gave her what ever she wanted so I could go back to bed.  Anyway, that’s why I think that Matilda in the room across from mine.  As I said, the door is locked and she won’t answer,” explained Rachael, as she related the events that took place through the night.  Rachael was also crying, also remembering the events of the last eight weeks, and what her Father had done to Matilda the night before.

Edith ran to Matilda’s bedroom door and knocked but there was no response.  Edith pounded on the door with her fists but there was still no response.  Edith; now filled with fear, concern, a Mother’s love and a sudden surge of adrenaline, stepped back and put the full weight of her small self into a single kick to the door, just below the doorknob.  Having the desired effect, the hollow core door splintered, as did the doorframe.  Edith pushed the remnants of the door open.

Before Edith’s tearful eyes, lying on her neatly made bed lay ten-year-old Matilda.  Matilda looked as spectacularly gorgeous as she had on that day ten weeks ago in Amanda Reynolds’s salon, “Matilda’s Birthday” as they had called it.  Her wig was in place and each hair had been neatly combed into place.  Her makeup had been applied perfectly.  Matilda had learned well, and in those few short weeks she had become very proficient.  She had almost completely hidden the new bruises and split lip that her Father had given her the night before.  Her blue satin dress was flared and smoothed out perfectly.  Her fingers were interlaced across her chest, her eyes were closed, and there was a note carefully tucked, under one corner of her pillow.

“RACHAEL, CALL 911.  TELL THEM TO GET AN AMBULANCE HERE. TELL THEM NOW!” screamed Edith, as she rushed to Matilda’s side.  Although her color was still good, Matilda’s breathing was very shallow.  Edith was crying as she knelt by her daughters’ bed.  She picked up the note and read it, through tear-filled eyes.

 


Dear Dad

I’m sorry that I am such an embarrassment to you.  I just can’t be the kind of son you want, as I should never have been born male.  I've tried to be what you wanted, but I just can’t.  I have to be what’s right for me, but you won’t let me.  I can no longer deal with your hatred, ignorance, prejudice, your physical abuse, along with being treated like a failure, by you. I have tried to explain to you how I have been abused and tortured by the kids at school, but you don’t seem to care about me.  If Karen or Rachael had been tortured at school, as I have been, you'd have rushed to the defense of your daughter.  Just because it happened to me, you did nothing.  You just don’t care about me.  I would not survive the harassment and torture that the Military Academy you plan to send me to would bring.  The only answer for me is to not, exist.  I hope you can live with the embarrassment of knowing that you caused me to take my own life.

 

Good bye Dad Your DAUGHTER Matilda  

 

My Dear Mother

I know how much pain this will cause you and for that, I am truly sorry.  I want you to know how much I love you.  I cannot thank you enough for everything you have done for me.  You have been my loving guide and mentor through my short life.  You have always been there to help, guide, protect, and support me.  You saw things in me that no one else could see, and for that, I will be forever grateful.  Through your love, you helped me to discover the better parts of myself.  Always remember that the happiest moments of my short and miserable life were when you and I were together.  The special afternoons that we spent together before I started school, and those two glorious weeks that we spent together while you were patiently teaching me the things I needed to know to be your loving daughter.

Mother, we've been taught in church that in the life after this we will have a perfect body.  I know that there, I will truly be your daughter.  Mother, I’ll be waiting for you there.  There I will finally be free of the pain and torment that I suffer from, here.

Mother; take a picture of me before they take my body away.  Then you'll have something to remember me by, as your daughter, Matilda.  I love you now and will for all the eternities to come.

Mother, my dying wish is to be buried as your daughter taking your maiden name as my own, and the name of my dear sister Rachael for my middle name.

 

“Matilda Rachael McNeil”

 

Your loving daughter

Matilda

 


As Edith had finished reading the note left by her dying daughter, Rachael came running into the room.

“The ambulance is on its way Mom.  H – How’s Matilda?” asked Rachael.

“She’s still alive, for now.  Rachael, go and get me a camera,” replied Edith, through broken sobs.

“A camera, what for, what camera?” asked Rachael.

“Any camera, every camera you can find in the house, quickly,” pleaded Edith.

Edith unlaced Matilda’s fingers and took her hand into her own.  “Oh, Matilda, I’m so sorry I wasn’t able to protect you.  Please forgive me for not being there for you when you needed me.  Please wake up, Dear.  You don’t have to do this Matilda.  I won’t let your Father ever hurt you again.  Oh, please wake up . . .” Edith choked out words of love and praise as she tried, in a vain attempt to get Matilda to wake up.

A few minutes later Rachael returned with three cameras, two small 35mm disposable cameras and her Father's new digital camera.  Edith started taking pictures of her daughter from every angle and distance, from across the room and close-up.  She used all the remaining film the two disposable cameras then started with the digital.

“Rachael, go to the front door and wait for the paramedics,” Edith told her sobbing daughter.

Edith then took as many pictures as she could.  It seemed like hours before the paramedics and the ambulance arrived.

The paramedic squad pulled up in front of the house a few moments after Rachael arrived at the front door and opened it.  The Ambulance pulled up 30 seconds later.  Both teams got their equipment and rushed into the house.  Rachael led them to Matilda’s bedroom where her mother was kneeling next to Matilda’s bed, crying.  The paramedics gently moved Edith, so they could check out Matilda.

“She’s alive,” one said to the other.  “Pulse is weak and her breathing is shallow.  Let’s move her, now!”

They put a sensor clip on Matilda’s finger to monitor her pulse and oxygen level, then put a mask over her mouth and nose to feed her oxygen.  Then they moved her onto a gurney and took her to the waiting ambulance.

“Where are you taking Matilda?” Edith managed to ask.

“Primary Children’s Emergency, Ma’am,” one of the paramedics said, just before the ambulance pulled away, followed quickly by the paramedic squad.

“Rachael, get my purse please.  We’re going,” Edith said, as she was trying to dry her eyes.

Before Edith and Rachael left for the hospital, Edith made two phone calls.  “Jill Morgan, please,” Edith said, when the phone was answered.

“I’m sorry she is in with a client . . .,” the receptionist was saying.

“This is Edith Covington, Matilda’s tried to kill herself,” Edith cut in.

“One Moment.”

“Hello, this is Jill Morgan.”

“Jill, this is Edith.  Matilda is en route to Primary Children’s.  Can you meet us there?”

"Edith, what's happened?"

"Oh, Jill, she tried to kill herself," Edith managed to say as she started sobbing again.

“I’m on my way, Edith,” Jill replied as she quickly hung up.

As Edith hung up the phone, she had to pause for a few minutes.  Once she had calmed down and dried her eyes, she dialed a second number.

“Hello, this is Ellen Hansen,” Edith heard as the phone was answered.

“Ellen, this is Edith Covington.  Matilda has tried to kill herself . . .” Edith started to say

“Oh, dear God, no!  Edith, how can I help?” asked Ellen.

“Jill is on her way to Primary Children’s now.  According to the note left by Matilda, this is David’s fault.  Ellen, I need to talk to a lawyer, today.  I need to know what my options are, legally.  I have to find a way to keep David away from me, and the kids.”

“I will have my lawyer meet you at the hospital if possible,” Ellen replied, “And I will see you there myself in a little while.”

When Edith and Rachael arrived at the hospital, they rushed into Emergency, and to the receptionist.

“I’m Edith Covington.  My daughter Matilda was just brought in.  She tried to kill herself.”

“Oh yes, the suicide;” the receptionist said rather coldly, handing Edith a clipboard.  “I’ll need these forms filled out.”

Edith quickly filled out the forms and returned them to the receptionist who started to enter the data into the computer system.

“Excuse me, Mrs. Covington but you said that your daughter was brought in?” she asked.

“Yes, I did,” replied Edith.

“On the paper work you have checked male, with the name of Matthias?” she questioned.

“That is also correct,” replied Edith.

“Could you explain that please?” the receptionist asked.

“Certainly, my daughter has Gender Dysphoria,” Edith said.

The receptionist looked at her with dead lifeless eyes, like a dolls eyes, that said in essence ‘dahh what are you talking about.’

“For the record, and for insurance purposes, her gender is male, and her name is Matthias.  But in her heart, in her mind, and in her soul, she is female and her name is Matilda,” Edith was explaining as Jill walked up behind her.  “Hi Jill, I'm glad you could get here so fast.  This is Matilda’s psychiatrist, Jill Morgan,” Edith told the receptionist.  “She'll explain everything to you.  In the meantime could you have someone take me in to see my daughter?”

“Of course, ma’am,” came the almost lifeless reply as the receptionist pressed a call button.

“Jill, could you look after Rachael while I am in with Matilda?  Oh, here is the note that Matilda left,” Edith pulled Matilda’s note out of her purse, giving it to her dear friend.

“Of course Edith, I’ll take care of everything,” Jill replied, taking Matilda’s note from Edith as she left.

Edith was led back into the emergency treatment area and into a room where several people were working on Matilda.  Edith noticed that they had removed her gown, underwear, and wig.  There were IV’s in both her arms and a respiratory mask over her mouth and nose.

“How is my daughter?” Edith asked loud enough for all to hear, as she didn’t know who was in charge.

“Ah, ma’am, you must be in the wrong room . . .” one of the nurses started to say.

“No I don’t think so; I would recognize Matilda no matter how she was dressed, or in this case undressed.  So how is she?  And by the way, where are her clothes and wig?” asked Edith, sounding like she was about to lose it.

“Ma’am, this boy did come in wearing girl’s clothes and a wig.  Could you please explain . . .,” the nurse was saying.

“Everybody please listen carefully, because I am getting tired of explaining this.  My daughter has ‘Gender Dysphoria.’  That means that although she was born in a male body, she has the mind of a girl.  On the records, the name is Matthias, but I would appreciate if everyone would refer to her as Matilda.  Now HOW IS MY DAUGHTER?” Edith asked a second time.  Her volume telling everyone that she’s obviously getting tired of explaining this to everyone.

“I’m sorry, Ma’am I didn’t understand.  Matilda was it?”  Edith nodded and the nurse continued.  “Matilda is just holding her own.  We’ve pumped her stomach.  Not knowing what she may have taken we didn’t dare introduce a counteragent.  We are running an IV solution, and have her on oxygen to keep her blood oxygen level up.  Do you have any idea what she might have taken?”  The nurse explained and asked.

 

* * * ^ ^ * * *

 

Edith finally pulled herself away from Matilda and went back out to the waiting room to talk with Jill and Rachael.  To her surprise, Ellen Hansen was also there.

“Matilda hasn’t regained consciousness yet.  They aren’t sure what she took, how much or when.  Right now, her condition is stable, but they say it can still go either way.  The next twelve to twenty-four hours will be critical.  They will be moving her up to the Intensive Care Unit within an hour or two.”  Edith said, as she recited the dry facts.  She was afraid to say anything else for fear that she would start crying again, as she had been doing most of the time that she had been in with Matilda.

“Oh, Edith, I’m so sorry.  I had no idea that things were so bad for you and Matilda.  Why didn’t you call one of us?”  Ellen softly asked as she gave Edith a hug.

“Oh, Ellen, it’s okay.  No one knew.  Someone told David about Matilda a couple of days after Mary Beth’s birthday party.  He stormed into Matilda’s room and pried open the locked dresser drawer where we kept her nightgowns and underwear.  He yelled so loud that the neighbor’s four houses away heard him.”  Edith was telling Ellen and Jill what had happened eight weeks ago, as Ellen moved her over to a chair so she could sit down.

“David was in a rage.  I tried to explain about Matilda's condition, but he just wouldn't listen.  Then he demanded to know if Matt was wearing girls underwear right then, of course she was.  Matilda always changed when she got home from school, as she never wore girls underwear to school.  Wearing feminine underwear was the only way she was happy.  David made her take off her pants and shirt to show him.  Oh, then he just reached over and ripped her underwear off her.  He shredded the underwear she had on; he then took all of Matilda's underwear and nighties out to the garbage can and burned them.”  Edith was sobbing as she remembered the horror of the scene she was describing and couldn’t continue.

“Later that night I went into Matilda’s room,” Rachael continued for her.  She spoke each word carefully and slowly so she could get them out without breaking down completely as her Mother had done.   “She was still sobbing, still naked in the middle of her bedroom floor where she had fallen after Dad stripped her.  She had been so upset she'd wet herself.  I took a blanket off her bed and wrapped her in it.  Then I helped her onto her bed.  I lay down next to her and just held her until she fell asleep.  It was about two weeks before Matilda was able to stand, walk, and talk well enough to go back to school as Matt.”

“Why didn’t someone call me?” asked Jill.

“Mom tried to call you that night, but Dad wouldn’t let her.  He told her that Matt was never to see that quack shrink again.  He said that if any of us told anyone, he would know, and that there would be hell to pay.  Matt's tenth birthday was completely ignored by Dad.  He wouldn't let any of the family do anything for Matt's birthday either.  Matt was just starting to feel better when things at home got crazy.  Dad would strip Matt several times a week to make sure he wasn’t wearing girls underwear.  Dad didn’t even bother to do it in private.  It didn’t matter, to Dad, where Matt was or what he was doing.  When Dad decided it was time, he would just order Matt to strip.  If Matt refused, Dad would rip his clothes off, beating him for disobedience and leaving him in tattered rags.  Having Matt stripped and naked in the family room became almost commonplace.

“Matt told me once; he thought he should just go around naked at home, just to save Dad the trouble.  Dad would search Matt’s room at least once a week.  If Dad happened to be home for dinner, Matt would stay in his room and not eat.  He’s probably lost 20lbs over the last eight weeks.  Matt was also having problems at school, with Black Bart and some of the other kids.  Somehow, they heard about Matilda.  Bart and his cronies would strip Matt at school at least twice a week, sometimes in the boys’ restroom, but usually out on the baseball field.  Mary Beth started always wearing a long coat whenever they were outside, even if it was hot out.  That way she would have something to wrap around Matt when they were done with him, and would leave him in huddled in a ball, crying.  I even heard rumors that some of the older boys would drag Matt down to the boiler room and that those boys would . . . well I don’t know for sure what they did.  All I know for sure was that Matt’s grades went from straight A’s to almost straight F’s in about two weeks, which made Dad treat him even worse.  I don’t think Mom knew anything that has happened to Matt at school.  I know that I don’t know everything.  I have tried to get Matt to talk to me but he wouldn’t.”

Ellen and Jill were speechless as they listened to Rachael’s horrific tale.  They now knew what had led up to Matilda’s suicide attempt.

Edith, barely aware of her surroundings, hadn’t stopped sobbing as Rachael told the story.

“Edith,” Ellen finally said, as she had an arm wrapped around her.  “There is no way you are going back to that house.  All three of you are coming to live at the Manor.  I'll not allow this to continue.”

“But R – Rachael is t – too young to be ac – accepted at your s – school,” Edith managed to say between sobs.

“I also told you that there were from time to time special exceptions.  I think this qualifies as a special exception,” Ellen told her gently.  “Edith, the job offer is still there.  I know that it will take you some time to get back up to speed. Of course, you’ll have to retake some classes before you can restart the Doctorate program.  But you can work at the school while you are going to the University.”

“Edith,” Ellen said suddenly, after she was struck by the realization of what Edith had just told her.  “You didn’t say anything to Jill or me, because you didn’t think you had any options, right?”

Edith, still crying could only nod her head.

“Well that stops here and now.  We told you and Matilda that you had lots of friends that would help you and we are going to prove it.  Now you dry your eyes!  We have plans to make,” said Ellen, as she handed Edith another box of tissues.

“W – What do you m – mean p – plans to make?”  Edith asked as she was trying to control her crying.

“First of all, no one is to ever use the name Matt when referring to Matilda ever again, and I do mean never.  Is that understood?” said Ellen to Edith, Jill and Rachael as she took charge of the situation.

“Great.  Now who else knows about Matilda, that Matilda knows and trusts?” Ellen asked.

“The only one I know of is Mrs. Reynolds.  Oh, wait a second, there is Mary Beth.  She really loves Matilda and would do anything for her.  Mary Beth and Matilda have been friends since they started school together,” said Rachael.  “Oh, but I don’t think we can trust Mary Beth’s Father.  I think he is the one who told Dad about Matilda going shopping and at the birthday party.”

“Ok, Mary Beth is out for now, but we need more help here at the hospital, so I’ll call Amanda.  I am sure she will want to help,” said Ellen, confidently.

Rachael interrupted Ellen, "I just remembered there's someone else that Matilda knows and trusts.  Beca, from . . . Well I can't say where she's from, because I'm not supposed to talk about it.  But Matilda referred to her as her Big Sister."

"That's okay Rachael; you can talk about the Manor in front of Jill.  You've done a very good job of helping both your Mother and Matilda this morning," Ellen said, giving Rachael a hug.  “The next thing is that Matilda is never to be left alone.  From now on, one of us is to be with her around the clock.  I'll work up a schedule to include the four of us, Beca, Liz and Amanda.  When Matilda wakes up, I want someone that she knows and trusts to be with her, agreed?” asked Ellen.  Everyone nodded their consent.

“Very well, I will also arrange for a special cell phone with a panic button on it.  Whoever is sitting with Matilda will keep it with them.  If anyone comes near Matilda without our consent, or anyone who might be a threat, you push one button and help will be there in seconds.”  Edith’s crying had almost stopped at this point as she began to realize that there were options for her and her daughters that she hadn’t realized.

“Okay, next on the agenda is to get Edith’s, Matilda’s, and Rachael’s belongings moved out of David’s house and up to the Manor.”  Ellen continued.  “Jill, can you stay with Matilda while I go help Edith and Rachael?”

“I would be happy to sit with Matilda for a while.  I will just have to call my office and have Barbara reschedule some appointments,” answered Jill.

“Oh, Ellen, what am I going to do with Karen and Charles?  I can’t leave them there alone with David.  He’s going to be very anger when he discovers that Matilda, Rachael and I are gone,” asked Edith.

“Edith, are there some relatives or friends that will take them in for a few days?  By then we should have this situation resolved and you should be able to return home.”

“Ellen, what do you mean by, situation resolved?” asked Edith.

“Edith please, I’ve only been working on this for a few minutes.  I’ll need a little more time to work out all of the details,” Ellen said with a smile.

“Well, when we are at the house, I’ll see what I can work out for Karen and Charles.  We don’t have any relatives in town, but maybe some of their friend’s parents would be able to help out for a few days,” said Edith

“We’ll just have to allow some extra time for that,” said Ellen.

“Oh, one other thing, the bruises, Rachael you said that your Father would hit Matilda when he was mad.  Were there bruises other that the ones on her face from last night?” asked Ellen.

“Umm probably, Dad threw him, umm I mean, he threw her around a couple of times.  There might be some bruises on her back and legs,” Rachael replied.

“Thank you Rachael, you’re doing great.  Jill when they move Matilda up to the ICU arrange for the staff to get a police photographer in here to take pictures.  Make sure that Matilda's wig is on and Jill, make sure that her genitals are not photographed.  We are going to need evidence to fight this and we don’t want the source of that evidence being challenged in court,” said Ellen coldly, Jill nodded her agreement.

“All right, it’s almost 12:00, now so we'd better get you two back to the house and get your things packed.  I’ll meet you there after I make one stop; I need to arrange with hospital security for the cell phone.  Jill, once the phone is ready I’ll have them bring it up to you.  We will check in with you in a couple of hours.  Will that be all right?” Ellen turned first to Edith and Rachael and then to Jill.  All agreed and they then broke up and went where they needed to go.

As an afterthought, Ellen stopped Edith as she was about to leave.  “Oh Edith, do you have a cell phone?” Ellen asked.

“No, I don’t,” replied Edith.  Ellen reached into her bag and pulled out a phone, handing it to Edith.

“This is my back-up phone.  My regular cell number is on speed dial.  Just press 9 then the “Talk” key and it will dial me.  If you have any trouble at all, call me at once, okay?”

“Oh, thank you, Ellen.  You don’t know what a relief it is to discover that you have friends, and what having true friends really mean,” Edith gave Ellen a hug.  Taking the phone, she put it in her purse.  Taking Rachael’s hand, they left for home.

As Edith and Rachael were approaching their home, Edith saw that David’s red Chevy Suburban was in the driveway.  She kept driving as she reached into her purse for Ellen’s cell phone.

“Mom, you just passed our house,” Rachael said.

“I know, Dear.  We didn’t stop because your father is home.  We're not going in there alone, not with him there.”  Edith explained as she dialed Ellen.  Driving around the block, she parked on the next street over, in the only spot where she could look through the neighbors’ back yard and see David’s Suburban in the driveway.

“Yes, Edith, what’s up,” Ellen asked, as she answered.

“Ellen, David’s home!  We pulled around the block.  I don’t think he saw us,” Edith said, her voice cracking just a little.

“You did the right thing.  You sit tight and don’t leave your car.  I will be there in fifteen minutes.  This changes things just a bit, I think we should take the opportunity to put plan B into effect.  I’ll call you back when I get closer,” Ellen told her as she hung up.

“I wonder what plan B is?” Edith wondered aloud, not really asking the question, just wondering.  Both Edith and Rachael looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders.

About eighteen minutes later the phone rang and Edith answered, “Hello.”

“Edith, its Ellen.  I am in front of your house on the opposite side of the street.  Wait about eight more minutes and then drive around and park in front of your house.  Don’t get out of your car until I come and get you, all right?” Ellen said reassuringly.

“But Ellen, you don’t know David.  He has gotten crazy the last few weeks,” Edith said, she couldn’t keep the fear out of her voice.

“It’s all right Edith.  I've taken care of everything.  In about 10 minutes, two police cars will be pulling up behind your car.  They will be going in just after us,” Ellen said, reassuring Edith that nothing was going to happen.

“Umm, Ellen, just what kind of strings did you pull to arrange that?” Edith asked.

“You told me that David is an ex-marine.  Police policy requires at least four officers are present to make an arrest of former military personnel.  Don’t worry about what kind of strings I can pull.  We will talk about everything later.  You need to move in about six minutes.  See you in a few,” Ellen said as she hung up again.

Edith looked over at Rachael and smiled, “Its looks like we are in good hands now.  Even Better than Allstate.”  Edith and Rachael both chuckled at the joke she had just made.  “Times like this and I can crack jokes, things must be looking up.”

The minutes slowly ticked by.  Waiting for the unknown to happen, can make the passage of time seem immeasurably slow.

“Well, it’s time to go to the house.  Remember Rachael; don’t get out of the car until Ellen comes to get us.”

“You don’t have to worry about that, I’m not going anywhere alone,” Rachael replied.

Edith slowly drove around the block, taking as much time as she could.  She parked against the curb just short of the driveway. There she and Rachael waited.  About three minutes later the first squad car pulled up behind Edith’s car.  Two minutes later the second car pulled up and blocked the driveway.  Then Ellen got out of her 15-passenger van and approached the first police car that had arrived, where she talked with the officers for about three minutes.

After that, she came over to Edith’s car.  “There’s been a slight change in plans,” Ellen said.  “There is a third car around the block in case he tries to run.  We will go in, with two officers waiting on the porch.  I want the privilege of telling him that he’s nailed down his own coffin.”

Edith and Rachael, along with two officers followed Ellen across the grass and up to the front door.

“Rachael,” Ellen said, “When we get inside, I want you to stay by the front door.  If your Father gets violent, you open the door.  If I look at you and nod my head, you open the door.  Your opening the door is the officers’ cue to come in.  Do you understand?”

“That sounds easy enough,” said Rachael.

“Ma’am, that’s not according to procedure,” one of the officers said.

“Jeff, do you know who she is?” asked the second officer.

“No, but what does that have to do with it?” asked Jeff.

“I’ll explain it to you later.  Waiting for the door to open will be no problem, Ms Hansen.”

When they got to the front door, Edith opened the door and went in, followed by Rachael who stepped aside.  Ellen followed, just behind Rachael.

“Where have you been, and where is my new digital camera?” David asked gruffly when he saw Edith.  “Who’s that?” he added when he saw Ellen enter.

“David Covington? I’m Ellen Hansen.  Edith called me this morning after Matilda was taken to the hospital,” Ellen started

“OH BROTHER, not that Matilda crap again. His name is Matt, and I’m putting an end to this Matilda shit once and for all.  Tonight I’m putting him on a plane and sending him to the Marine Military Academy in Texas.  They’ll make a man out of that whimpering little sissy,” David bellowed.

“I don’t think Matilda would like a military academy, and besides, I don’t think her doctor will let her out of the hospital to make the trip,” said Ellen.

“Hospital, what hospital?  What’s Matt doing in a hospital?” David asked.

“NO DAVID! NOT MATT! MATILDA!  Matilda is in the hospital.  She tried to commit suicide this morning.  YOU KILLED MATT, last night when you knocked him around,” Edith yelled.

David was shocked by what Edith had just said, and the way she’d said it.  She’d never stood up to him before.

“You’re an ex-Marine.  A Sergeant, as I understand it?” Ellen asked.

“That’s right.  So what!” David huffed.

“Well, for your information, Sergeant, I’m Captain Ellen Hansen, Naval Intelligence.  I know everything about you.”

“Like what?  Edith, who is this dumb broad?” David moaned.

“Like I said,” continued Ellen, “I know everything about you.  According to Gunnery Sergeant C. A. MacGyver, you were given a choice.  You could voluntarily leave the corps or face a court marshal and a be branded with a dishonorable discharge.  Your service record makes interesting reading, I'm surprised that they let you stay in as long as they did.  Currently you work for McDonald Douglas security day shift.  Your best friend is Craig Phelps, which would be Mary Beth's Father.  He also works for McDonald Douglas, also in security, he works graveyard as I understand.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” David said, starting to sound a little nervous.

“I also know that you beat your wife and you have repeatedly sexually and physically abused your daughter Matilda.  I have been in contact with the District Attorney.  There are two officers outside your front door with an arrest warrant.  You are being charged with six counts of Sexual Assault of a Minor, four counts of Physical Abuse of a Minor, Reckless Endangerment, Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, and I think the DA was adding on a couple of others that I don’t know about yet.  He told me that he was trying for a life sentence without parole, but would settle for 15 to 30.” Ellen said all this with an evil grin.

“You’re crazy! You’ve got nothing on me, and a wife can’t testify against her husband and nobody else will either.”  David said, glaring at Rachael.

“You are correct that a wife can’t be compelled to testify against her husband.  However, an ex-wife can freely testify against a slime ball like you.  I expect that before your case comes to trial, we should have Edith’s divorce completed.  Oh, I know that it normally takes six months to a year, but you see, this situation isn’t exactly normal, is it?  By the way, because you’ll be going to prison, she gets everything.  And as for nobody else being willing to testify against you, well, you’d better think again,” said Ellen as she looked at Rachael and nodded.

Rachael smiled from ear to ear, nodded to Ellen, then opened the front door and stepped aside.  In rushed not two, but four officers.  Two of them had their weapons drawn and they were instantly pointed at David.

“David Covington?” One of the officers said.  “You are under arrest for the physical and sexual abuse of Matilda Covington.   Get down on your knees, put your hands on your head, palms up and interlock your fingers,” he ordered.

Facing four officers, two with their weapons drawn and pointed at him, and the other two ready to draw their weapons, David didn’t have much of a choice.  From the look on his face, his first thought was to run, followed by rage - he definitely wanted to kill something, or someone.  Reluctantly he dropped to his knees and put his hands on his head as ordered.  As one of the officers put handcuffs on him, another one read him his rights.  As a precautionary measure, his ankles were also shackled to prevent him from running if he did manage to get away.  David was then helped to his feet and searched for weapons.  The officers were surprised to find not one, but two small caliber pistols, as well as several folding pocketknives.

As two officers were escorting David out, Ellen stopped them.  "He probably has some keys in one of his pockets.  The keys to this house as well as that Red Suburban in the driveway, I don’t think he will need them where he is going.  I think Edith here would make better use of them than an envelope in the property room,” said Ellen.

“No Ma’am, I don’t think he’ll be needing them,” agreed one of the officers.  He found the keys and handed them to Edith.

“Enjoy yourself David.  I understand that the inmates down at ‘Point of the Mountain’ take special care of big tough men who sexually abuse little children,” Ellen chuckled as she said this.

At that, the officers snickered as they took David out to one of the squad cars.  And then . . . he was gone.

“Well, that was exciting, wasn’t it?” Ellen was asking a rhetorical question.

“Ellen.  You’re with Naval Intelligence?” Edith asked.

“No, I’m not.  I just said that to confuse him a little and help keep things under control.  You see, if he thought I was an officer, his military conditioning would kick in.  Even though he isn’t active, he would have to do some serious thinking before he would be able to attack an officer.  That bought us the time I wanted,” Ellen said.  “Well, with David gone, you won't have to move to the Manor.  Actually, Edith, this is a nice house and neighborhood.  You should keep it.  You do have other children to think about.”

“Yes I do.  Speaking of them, its pushing 2:00 and they should be getting home from school soon.  I’m not quite sure what I am going to tell them,” said Edith.

“Well I find that the truth is usually the best place to start.  Seeing that little Rachael here already knows more than she should,” Ellen smiled, as she patted Rachael’s head.  “Why don’t I take her back up to the hospital?  She can sit with Matilda for a while and we can let Jill go home.  When . . . oh, just a second, let me think.  Oh yes, its Charles and Karen.  When they get home, you can have a chat with them.   Take them up to see Matilda after dinner.  By then Rachael should be bored stiff, so I’ll take over sitting with Matilda for the rest of tonight.  You come up in the morning as soon as you get the kids off to school,” Ellen suggested.

“Oh please Mommy, pleases?  Please say yes.  I want to go be with Matilda, please.”  Rachael said while jumping up and down.

“Oh all right, settle down.  You know you can’t act that way while you’re at the hospital, don’t you?” Edith said, Rachael just nodded and grinned.  “That sounds like a great idea Ellen.  Ellen, I don’t know how to thank you for every thing that you’ve done, both for us here and now and for what you are doing for Matilda,” Edith said.

“Edith I just do what I can, nothing special.  Well now, Rachael, are you ready.”

“Just a second, I need to get a book or two.”  Rachael said as she disappeared.  When she came back, she was hugging two books in front of her.

“What do you have there?” asked Edith.

“Books for me to read to Matilda, Mary Poppins, and Pollyanna. Their two of Matilda’s favorites,” Rachael said smiling broadly.  "Along with Sherlock Holmes, but I'm having a hard time reading that one."

“All right little one, let’s get going,” said Ellen, as she bundled Rachael out to her van.

“Mrs. Hansen why do you drive such a large van?” asked Rachael.

“I do work at large school,” said Ellen, chuckling as they crossed the street.

Edith smiled as she waved goodbye and then closed the front door.  With Ellen and Rachael gone, Edith was alone to collect her thoughts and prepare for Karen and Charles.  As Edith was trying to work out in her mind just what to say to them, someone knocked on her front door.  She thought it odd that someone would knock, instead of using the doorbell.  If she hadn't been in the living room, she wouldn't have heard the knock at all.  It was such a gentle knock like that of a small child or . . .

Edith’s thoughts were interrupted as she opened the door.  Huddled in a ball on her front porch, just to the side of the door, she found a young girl.  She was crying out of control, her hair was a mess with sticks, grass, and leaves in it, and her clothes were torn.  Edith couldn't see the child’s face because of the way she sat, knees up, arms around her knees, and head down hiding her face.

Edith knelt down to comfort this child, as she did she lifted her chin, hoping to discover her identity.  To Edith’s horror, the bruised, tattered, and crying child on her front porch was . . . Mary Beth.

 

* * * To be continued * * *

 

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at

[email protected]

 

Chapter End Notes:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2006 Penny Reed Cardon. All rights reserved.