Menu Load Error

- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

K

Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 200? Author Name. All rights reserved.

Kelly's Journey

Chapter 1: Bye Daddy

By Stanman63

Edited By Nora Adrienne with Special Thanks To Terry Naut and JennaFL for Proofing
and to Heather Rose Brown for the Illustration!

Kelly's Daddy is a Police Officer well on the way to a Captaincy. He is well respected by fellow Officers and was selected to replace the current Captain when he retires. But Kelly's Daddy goes on duty when a fellow officer calls in sick and dies in the line of duty.



* * *

It is hard to believe, but I am now complete. My journey is finally over and I can now live happily ever after. And to think, that it almost never happened, but it did. Here I am, with my beloved husband beside me asleep after our passion has been sated. And to think that we almost never made it because of our fears. We both had fears, but we have both overcome our fears and now we are together forever.

* * *

My name is Kelly Lee Moore; I was born a boy 21 years ago. I am a natural redhead with green eyes. I love to play sports, but I was always on the small side. I look like my Momma if she were a boy. But as much as I love my Momma, I love my Daddy too.

My dad was Edward Stuart Moore, a gentle giant, of a policeman who looked like Tom Selleck. He loved to hunt and fish and had wanted to be a Park Ranger, unfortunately he never qualified. When he was killed in the line of duty, the Woods let us move into the Guest House on their Estate.

He and Mister Woods were best friends growing up and were the Best Man at each others weddings. When I was conceived, the Woods accepted the Honor of being my Godparents and Mom and Dad, the Godparents of Julie and Johnny, their twins. Growing up with the Woods, I felt that we were a family, with two moms, and a dad.

We kids were the Three Musketeers and would often spend the night out in the old tool shed Mister Woods had converted into a fully functional playhouse for us. We would spend endless hours there on the weekends playing make believe.

Daddy loved nature and tended to have cookouts out in the backyard. He loved to see if he could make the perfect steaks, but Momma was the real cook. Daddy knew how to grill most everything, but Momma made the best cookies.

* * *

I remember one night when Daddy scooped me out of the pool after I had cannon balled everybody. He was laughing because he couldn't believe that a small fry like me could drench everybody.

"Kelly, you sure know how to cannonball, young man," he chuckled. ['Just like me, he is fearless, yet has his mother's grace and beauty. I know that he might be more girl than boy, but I love him.']

Then I hugged him, getting him even wetter, "Thanks, Daddy. It was fun."

"No doubt, you look just like your Mother when she was your age." [And just as beautiful too. I am blessed that I grew up with my Love.']

"Does that mean that I'm gonna be a Momma too?" ['Is Daddy sad that I look like momma?']

[chuckle] "No squirt. It simply means that you look like your mother. You are quick and nimble instead of being big and husky like me. And I couldn't be happier."

"So, that means that I'll grow up to be like Momma, but as a boy?" ['Wonder what Momma would look like playing softball?']

"Pretty much."

"Daddy, I like to run and play a lot and dance. Is that alright?"

"Yes, Kelly. That's alright. When I was little, I liked to run and play and when I grew up, I became a policeman like my dad." ['He died before I was born. I'm glad that Terri's parents adopted me after Mom died.']

"Daddy, do I gotta be a policeman like you?"

"No, you can be who you want to be."

* * *

That was just before my daddy passed away in the line of duty. He was called in because another policeman called in sick. Daddy went in because he was always ready to help out, but this time, he wouldn't come back.

"Yes, Moore residence."

"Stu, I know that this is your day off, but Whitehead's called in sick, and unfortunately, you're on the reserve list this week," sighed Police Chief Branch.

[sigh] "Damn it, Sir! I set aside today to spend with my family! Doesn't he give a damn?"

"I'm really sorry; Stu, but we need you."

[sigh]"Do I ride alone?"

"No, Stu, you'll be riding with Piper."

"OK, I'll come in. Piper is one of the best there is. Is she still up for transfer to S.W.A.T.?"

"Yep, and you're to be the next Detective, when promotions come out."

* * *

Momma came in and saw Daddy's face, "Stu? What's wrong?

"Honey, I have to go in." [I wonder why in the Hell he called in sick THIS TIME?']

"Damn it, Stu, can't somebody else go in? Kelly was all set to go with you to the park today and play catch." ['I love him, but at times, his job gets in the way.']

Then he hugged Momma, "I know Honey, but I swore an oath that I must fulfill. This is my week to be "on call", Remember?" he sighed. ['I hate disappointing my son; I hope that he understands one day.']

"I know, Stu, It's just that you keep on missing out on playing with Kelly. It seems as if your buddies are conspiring to keep you busy." ['And they know that you'll help out if they ask.']

"Heck, I'm the next one up for promotion in the department. When the next class graduates, I'll get promoted to Detective."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Captain Branch promised me when I transferred from teaching at the training camp. And promised again, just now."

Then she gave Daddy a big kiss, "Take care, Stu." ['You've been wanting to be detective ever since you joined, and now, as a detective, you can spend more time with us.']

Daddy went to put on his uniform, and then returned to the kitchen where he finished breakfast. Then I walked into the kitchen still in my pajamas, "Daddy? Why are you in uniform?" [' I hope he isn't going in.']

Then Daddy scooped me up in his arms, "I am sorry Kelly, but a fellow officer called in sick and it is my duty to take his place." [' I won't spank him if he throws a fit because I'm breaking a promise.']

"Oh, darn it!! I was hoping that we could go to the park and feed the ducks and picnic," I pouted.

Daddy hugged me as he always did when I pouted, "Me too, [sigh] Why don't you ask Mister Woods what they're doing today? I know that Julie and Johnny love it when you play with them."

"That sounds like fun, Daddy, but I'll miss you," then I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Then he hugged me close and put me down, "I promise you that after Church, we will have a picnic and feed the ducks at the park."

Then he kissed Momma and left, that was the last time that we saw him alive. He died in the Line of Duty that day and never came home. To this day, I can never look at a policeman with out thinking of my daddy. That is why I don't understand those that belittle those in Law Enforcement; perhaps if their daddy was a policeman, they'd understand me better.

* * *

Daddy arrived at the station in his Patrol Cruiser and went straight into the Captain's Office. He was one of very few entitled to do so. Most Officers had to be screened by the Captain's secretary, Bobbi Marie Stafford. She was the Captain's daughter. She looks like Will Smith's wife, except that she has natural red hair.

"Hey Stu, Daddy called you in?" ['It's too bad that he's married. he is one good looking hunk of man.']

He sighed, "Yeah, Bobbi. Whitehead called in."

"Shit! That asshole was supposed to stop drinking. Now he's gonna be in trouble."

"Maybe he'll get the Board now," he said as he went in.

Captain Branch got up and shook Daddy's hand, "Stu, glad that you could come. You and Piper will be patrolling the East End Housing Projects tonight."

"That's my first Patrol Beat. It'll be good to see Pastor Patrick again." [He married me and Terri.']

Then Piper arrived. She was an Asian American. She was cute, and petite. She barely made the height requirement for being an Officer, and was often mistaken for a teenager.

"Hello, Stu, Captain Branch says that we're teamed up today." ['He's one heck of a man. Too bad that he's married.

Stu shook her hand, "Glad to team up with you. I take it that Whitehorse is your partner?" ['She still looks as good as she did in the Academy.']

"Yeah, but my cruiser is in the shop. We'll need to take yours."

"OK, what's wrong with yours?"

"Tune up."

Captain Branch cleared his throat, "Piper, Stu, I gave you the Projects because that's a low crime area. Please be careful out there."

* * *

Let me introduce you to my momma: Terri Lynn Moore is my momma. She is a natural green eyed redhead like me. She weighs 100 pounds soaking wet and is only 5 feet tall just like me. We look like Redheaded Olsen twins.

Whenever we go out, people think that we are twins who make my momma's day; the only real difference is that Momma has a few wrinkles around her eyes. She likes to knit, crochet and sew. She has made all of our clothes.

The only clothing we have bought is hosiery, lingerie and socks. Momma also has made several quilts and comforters. She loves giving away her quilts at Christmas and donates several to the church every year.

* * *

Daddy and Piper were cruising when they saw a red van ram into a house, causing it to be engulfed in smoke, "Piper, I'm pulling over. Call it in, please." ['Is this an accident, or was it arson? Are they any victims in all that smoke?']

"Dispatch, this is Cruiser #218."

"Go ahead, 218."

"We are at the scene of a house fire. A red Chevy cargo van has rammed a house, causing a fire. Please send the Fire Department."

"What's your twenty?"

She looked at the mailbox, "2278, Block 'H' of the East End Housing Project."

"The Fire Department is on the way, please remain and offer assistance."

"That's a big 'Ten-Four."

Daddy got out, "Piper, I'm getting out our riot gear."

"Good idea. The gas masks will let us breathe in that smoke."

They found that the driver was stunned and got him out of the danger zone, "Sir, I am C.P.R. trained. Let me help revive him."

Stu looked at the red-headed nurse and smiled as he and Piper laid him down on the lawn, "Thanks Ma'am. Now we can rescue the others."

They went inside the building, carrying their halogen lights to pierce the smoke.

"Stu, found a young woman here near a crib."

"SHIT! I found another crib in here with a baby in it! This must be a nursery!"

"I've got the baby, and the mother is moving after I gave her fresh air from my mask."

"GOOD! I've got this baby. Hopefully, there's no one else in here."

They heard a splutter as the young woman came around, "Where's my baby?"

The nurse, after getting the driver to breathe, passed the baby to her, "Ma'am, I am Nurse Patty. Your baby is fine,"

She hugged her child to her, "Thanks, Nurse Patty. But there are two other children in there."

"Piper, stay here, keep the peace while I go get the kid," he said as he donned his mask.

"Be careful, Stu."

Daddy headed into the building, and it collapsed, "STU!!!" yelled Piper.

It took the Firemen until near dinner time to get to Daddy. But he was dead. He had placed the mask over the baby to protect him

* * *

It was later that day about supper time that we heard the front doorbell ring, "Kelly, are you clean?"

"Yes, Momma, I just washed up for dinner," Momma still bathed me every night before bed and did so until I went into the first grade.

"Then come with me to answer the doorbell."

"O.K., Momma," Then I ran up to her with slightly wet hands as she headed out of the kitchen where she was preparing our hamburger macaroni and cheese dinner, one of my favorites to this day.

"Well, I see that you didn't dry off", she giggled. ['My little ragamuffin never seems to dry off.']

"You said that you wanted me, so I kinda didn't dry off."

"That's alright, Sweetie, you did as I asked.

"I know," I laughed.

Momma opened the door after checking out the porch through the glass paneling. Then when she opened the door, I saw two policemen standing at the door. As she let them in, she asked. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" ['Please, let it be good news.']

The older one was an elderly black man with gray hair. He was almost as tall as my daddy, besides him was a curly haired blond with blue eyes. He looked like a surfer dude, "Mrs. Moore, my name is Harold Branch. I am your husband Ed's commanding officer, with me is Officer Donald Whitehead." ['Dear God, why must he have such a young child? This will be harder than I thought.']

As Momma led them to the den, she asked as she sat down and put me in her lap, "Where's Stu? Is he alright?" [Is my nightmare finally made real?']

Then I saw the Captain slump into Daddy's chair as if he were a rag doll, "This is one duty that I dread as the Captain, Mrs. Moore..." [I am getting too old for this.']

Then Momma wailed, "NO!!! HE CAN"T BE DEAD!!" ['WHY, LORD!?! WHY?!']

Then I looked at Momma as I saw her cry. Momma? What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

Then she hugged me to her, "Oh, Kelly, your daddy is never coming home again." ['The only promise he broke was to you.']

"Why, Momma?" ['Why is momma crying?']

"Because he has gone to Heaven." ['Please, God, we need help!!']

"NO!!! DADDY CAN'T GO!!" Then I began to cry like Momma was because I knew then that I had no Daddy.

Then the Captain cleared his throat, "Mrs. Moore, I am truly sorry, but I want you to know that Stu gave his life to save another." ['Small consolation, but Stu died a hero, unlike THIS beside me.']

"Please, tell us how he died then." ['Knowing Stu, it was in the line of duty.']

"Please, Sir, I wanna know how Daddy went to Heaven." ['Why is my daddy dead?']

"There was an accident where a delivery van crashed into a house. The van caused a lot of damage and there were people there trapped under the debris. Stu went in and brought several out, but when he went back for a baby, the roof caved in on him. He saved the baby, but at the cost of his life," he sighed. ['Oh, Stu. Why did it have to be you? Why didn't you let the firemen go in that final time?']

"What about the driver? Is he being held responsible?" ['I need to know who's responsible.']

"No, Ma'am. A tire blew out on the van causing him to lose control. He also died in the accident from a heart attack after being rescued, and we are investigating everything about the tire." ['But in that neighborhood, probably a nail or a pothole.']

"Sir, is the baby alright? Daddy loved babies and wanted to adopt a baby girl." Then I saw Momma nod yes as she wept again.

"Yes, Kelly, except for being scared, the baby is fine, and the parents want to name the baby after your husband to honor him." ['Can't think of a better way for them to honor Stu.']

"Is the baby a boy?" ['Cause Daddy has a boys name.']

Then the Captain grinned, "Yes, he's a boy." ['Even now, this child cares for others. He has a heart of gold.']

Then Momma looked at the other Officer," Why are you here?" ['Are you the reason that my Stu is dead?']

"I am the one that called in sick." ['It should have been me on duty, not him.']

"Funny, you look alright to me." ['Stu never drank when he was on call, and if he'd drunk earlier, he'd have declined.']

He looked down at his feet, unable to look at my momma, "Ma'am, I got drunk last night and woke up with a hangover. That's why I called in sick," he fidgeted.

Then Momma got up and slapped him hard, "YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT STU IS DEAD BECAUSE YOU GOT DRUNK?!?! HOW DARE YOU WEAR THAT UNIFORM YOU BASTARD!!!" ['YOU ARE NOT WORTHY TO WEAR IT!!!']

Then Momma began to cry again as the Woods came in and when Mrs. Woods saw my Momma, she gathered me up in her arms, "What's wrong, Kelly?" ['Has Stu finally been hurt? That man is so selfless that I worry for his safety.']

"Daddy has gone to Heaven," I sniffed as I dried my eyes.

Then she picked me up and fiercely hugged me "Oh, Kelly. I am sorry for you dear, what happened?"

Then Momma looked up at her, grateful that Mrs. Woods held me, "Oh, Andrea, it's the worst ever!! Stu is dead!!"

Then Mister Woods took me from his wife and let out a howl of rage, "STU!! I VOW TO RAISE KELLY FOR YOU!!"

"Chuck, I think that Kelly needs to play with our children right now," Then he passed me back to his wife as I wept for my daddy.

* * *

Oh yeah!! Meet Andrea Lynn Woods, my best friend's mother. She is a tiny Asian woman whose parents owned and operated a restaurant. When her parents, died, her husband took it over and added it to his collection of restaurants. She loves to paint and do jigsaw puzzles. She has given away framed and completed puzzles as gifts.

And her husband is Charles Tyler Woods. He is a tall and rugged blue-eyed blond who looks as if he could easily be a lumberjack with his long hair and facial hair, or the next Fabio for Doctor Ruth.

He went into the restaurant business with his dad and expanded "Wood's Family Restaurant into a local chain catering to the different tastes after his dad retired... When the local grocer closed shop, Mister Woods added it to his stores as well as a catering outlet.

Since then he has opened up a Cooking School where he creates new dishes for his customers and we get to sample his creations too.

* * *

Then she put me down gently, "Go and play with Johnny."

Then I scampered away to where the twins were standing. "Come on, Kelly. Let's watch cartoons."

"O.K., Julie."

Then we went and turned on the T.V. while the adults talked. I can't tell you what we were watching because I was thinking about my daddy. We used to play in the yard playing horsier and playing touch football and tennis. At times, Julie and Johnny would join us or we'd go play on their swing set.

But now, who would be my daddy?

While we watched cartoons, Mister Woods showed his anger towards that bad cop; I never knew that he could be so MEAN!!!

He went up to that bad cop and pulled him up by his lapels, "YOU BASTARD!!! YOU!! ARE WHY MY BEST FRIEND IS DEAD!!! NO DOUBT TERRI SAID THAT YOU ARE NOT WORTHY TO WEAR THAT UNIFORM!! STU AND I ARE FRIENDS WITH THE COUNTY CONSTABLE , ROBERT CONRAD!!! YOU WILL NEVER WORK IN CIVIL SERVICES AGAIN!!!!!"

Then the bad cop wet himself in fear of Mister Woods, "You (sob) are assaulting (choke) a police (shudder) officer."

"No, you're dismissed from the force, no benefits."

"But, Sir, I .."

"You are to face a Summary Hearing. And prison as well." Then he looked at Mister Woods, "Sir, please let him go."

Then Mister Woods dropped him, "My pleasure."

Then the Captain escorted the bad cop out as the adults all wept bitter tears for my daddy.

* * *

I didn't sleep well that night. I kept on reliving that afternoon whenever I closed my eyes. I finally got up and went to Momma where she was sitting at her vanity crying as she held a picture of Daddy in his Dress Uniform.

"[sniff, sniff] Oh, Stu,[sniff, sniff] I miss your strong arms around me!![sniff, sniff] Now that you're gone, [sniff, sniff] I'm all alone!!!" she wept.

"[sniff, sniff] Momma,[sniff, sniff] you still have me!" [sniff, sniff] I began crying again, missing my daddy.

Momma picked me up. "Oh, Kelly. I know that you're here, but Stu, your daddy is gone and I don't know what to do without him."

"Is there anything that I can do?"

"You can stay with me. You couldn't sleep. Could you?"

"No, Momma, I keep on seeing what happened when they came."

"Then sleep with me, and we will comfort each other."

"O.K. Momma," Then she carried me to bed and we both slept soundly.

* * *

The next day, we went to see Daddy at the Tri-County Funeral Home. It's where all civil servants are taken to when they're buried. Jefferson, Cherokee, and Choctaw counties had pooled their resources to set up facilities to take care of their needs.

Next to the home are the Tri-County Bus Barn and Tri-County Courthouse. The Tri-County area was blessed with abundant streams for fishing and swimming as well as a natural harbor. The only reason that our city wasn't as big as New York is that the government only added houses when a corporation was willing to set up shop here.

Well, at the funeral home, Daddy looked handsome in his uniform. His casket was a rich mahogany with brass handles. The flowers around him were in every color of the rainbow. I almost didn't make it to see Daddy because I was so upset, but Pastor Patrick West helped me to pull together.

Mister Woods, who was wearing his old Boy Scout uniform, picked me up, "You look good, Kelly, [sob] like your daddy." ['Please don't be a policeman; I couldn't stand to lose you too.']

"[sniff,sniff] Thanks, Mister Woods, [sob] I wore this to honor Daddy. [Sob]"

"But would rather wear something else, [sniff] right?" ['I saw you fidgeting at your house, looking at your black suit.']

Then he passed me to his wife who was wearing her black silk gown, [sniff, sniff] "Yes, Ma'am, [sniff, sniff] but I want Daddy to know how much I love him." ['Daddy, I'd do anything for you!!!']

Then she passed me to my momma who was dressed like Mrs. Woods, "[sob] Oh, Kelly. You could have worn anything, [sob] your daddy would have understood!!" [Sob] ['Even now, he wants to please, my son is still loving.']

Momma then gently put me back in my chair in between the twins who'd arrived, "[sob] I know, Momma, [sob] but he'd be hurt if I did that, [sob], besides, [sob] this is [sob] the last time [sob] that I can see him. [Sob] " ['GOOD-BYE DADDY!! I LOVE YOU!!']

"Kelly, please talk to Pastor Pat, he wants to help you, if he can." ['He helped me to pull together for the funeral.']

"O.K., Momma."

Then Julie, wearing her black ballerina skirted leotard and tights kissed me, "Take care, Kelly, I love you." ['So handsome, like his daddy.']

Then Johnny hugged me, "Yeah, what Julie said." ['What can I do for my bentest friend?']

"Thanks everybody!!!"

Then Pastor Pat: the Pastor of the church that we and the Woods attend came over to me. He was wearing his black robe and silver sash and belt that he wore whenever he conducted the traditional service, "Kelly, I am here to help you if I can."

"Have you lost your daddy?"

Then he scooped me up into his arms, "Yes, Kelly. I lost my daddy when I was in Seminary."

"Seminary? What's that?"

"A special school that taught me how to be a Pastor, like my daddy."

"Oh, how did he die?"

"He died in his sleep, after many years of serving God."

"I'm glad that he wasn't hurt like my daddy, I am confused!!"

"About what?"

"Should I be a Police Officer like Daddy or do what I want?"

"What do you want to be?"

"I don't know, but I know that I don't want to be a Police Officer."

"Has anybody been saying that you should be an Officer?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Who?"

Then I pointed to a slim, hatchet-faced man with thinning black hair and wearing thick glasses, "That's the one; he said that I ought to take my Daddy's place, but how? I'm way too young!!"

"Don't you worry, young man. Let me and Charlie handle this!!" Then he carried me to Momma and put me down by her. When I looked up, I saw the anger in his face; let me tell you, I was scared.

"Terri, Kelly just told me that a certain person wants for him to take his daddy's place as an Officer!!

"Who is this asshole?"

I pointed him out, "That's the one!!"

"Why, that's Oscar Whipple, he's hated Stu ever since he caught him embezzling funds from the Police Officer's Christmas For Kids Account!! That weasel got put in jail for that, I see that he finally got out." she fumed.

"Don't worry, Lynn . Pastor Pat and I will deal with him."

"Thanks, Chuck."

Then they went over to him and escorted him outside, then came back a grinning from ear to ear, "Good news, he was wanted for parole violation. He's gonna be in jail for a long time now."

"Thanks."

Pastor Pat, will you take me to Daddy so that I can kiss him?"

"Sure, Kelly, it'd be my pleasure."

Then he carried me over to my daddy and I scrambled out of his arms so that I could kiss and hug my daddy.

Then I began to cry, tears unashamedly running down my cheeks as I sang "Daddy's Hands" by the Judd's to my Daddy.

By the time that I was finished, everybody was weeping with me, then Captain Branch gently carried me to my momma who hugged me to her, "Kelly, thank you for that song, but you know that your daddy never spanked you," Momma admonished me.

"[sniff] I know, Momma, [sniff, sniff] but it was either that or "Daddy, [sniff, sniff] Don't You Walk So Fast." [sniff, sniff]. But it didn't feel right."
* * *

Synopsis: Kelly's Daddy is a Police Officer well on the way to a Captaincy. He is well respected by fellow Officers and is selected to replace the current Captain when he retires. But Kelly's Daddy goes on duty when a fellow officer calls in sick and dies in the line of duty.
~~~~~~~~~~~
It is hard to believe it, but I am now complete. My journey is now over and I can now live happily ever after. And to think, that it almost never happened, but it did. Here I am, with my beloved husband beside me asleep after our passion has been sated. And to think that we almost never made it because of our fears. We both had fears, but we have both over come our fears and now we are together forever.

~~~~
My name is Kelly Lee Moore, I was born as a boy 21 years ago. I am a natural redhead with green eyes. I love to play sports. But I was always on the small side. I look like my Momma if she were a boy. But as much as I love my Momma, I love my Daddy too.

My dad was Edward Stuart Moore, a gentle giant, of a policeman who looked like Tom Selleck. He loved to hunt and fish and had wanted to be a Park Ranger, but unfortunately, he never qualified. When he was killed in the line of duty, the Woods let us move into the Guest House on their Estate.

He and Mister Woods were best friends growing up and were the Best Man at each others weddings. When I was conceived, the Woods accepted the Honor of being my Godparents and Mom and Dad the Godparents of their twins.Julie and Johnny.

Growing up with the Woods, I felt that we were a family, with two moms, and a dad. We kids were the Three Musketeers and would often spend the night out in the old tool shed Mister Woods had converted into a fully functional playhouse for us. We would spend endless hours there on the weekends playing make believe.

Daddy loved nature and tended to have cookouts out in the backyard. But Momma was the real cook, daddy knew how to grill most everything, but Momma made the best cookies.

I remember one night when Daddy scooped me out of the pool after I had cannonballed everybody. He was laughing because he couldn't believe that a small fry like me could drench everybody.

"Kelly, you sure know how to cannonball young man, he chuckled. ['Just like me, he is fearless, yet has mis Mother's grace and beauty.. I knew that he might be more girl than boy, but I love him.']

Then I hugged him, getting him even wetter, "Thanks Daddy, it was fun."

"No doubt, You look just like your Mother wen she was your age." [''He looks like Terri when she was his age.']

"Does that mean that I'm gonna be a Momma too?" ['Is Daddy sad that I look like Momma?']

[chuckle] "No squirt, it simply means that you look like your Mother. You are quick and nimble instead of being big and husky like me. And I couldn't be happier."

"So that means that I'll grow up to be like Momma, but as a boy?" ['Wonder what Momma would look like playing softball?']

"Pretty much."

"Daddy, I like to run and play a lot and dance, is that alright?"

"Yes Kelly, that's alright. when I was little, I liked to run and play and when I grew up, I became a policeman like my Dad."

"Daddy, do I gotta be a policeman like you?"

"No, you can be who you want to be."

That was just before my Daddy passed away in the line of duty. He was called in because another policeman called in sick. Daddy went in because he was always ready to help out, but this time, he wouldn't come back.

"Honey, I have to go in." [I wonder who in the Hell has called in sick THIS TIME?']

"Damn it Stu, can't somebody else go in? Kelly was all set to go with you to the park today and play catch." ['I love him, but at times, his job gets in the way.']

Then he hugged Momma, "I know Honey, but I swore an Oath that I must fulfill. This is my week to be "on call." remember., he sighed. ['I hate disappointing my son, I hope that he understands one day.']

"I know Stu, it's just that you keep on missing out on playing with Kelly. It seems as if your buddies are conspiring to keep you busy." ['And they know that you'll help out if they ask.']

"Heck, I'm the next one up for promotion in the department. When the next class graduates, I'll get promoted to Detective."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Captain Branch promised me when I transferred from teaching at the training camp."

Then she gave Daddy a big kiss, "Take care Stu." ['You've been wanting to be detective ever since you joined, and now, as a detective, you can spend more time with us.']

Then I walked into the kitchen still in my pajamas, "Daddy? Why are you in uniform?" [' I hope he ain't going in.']

Then Daddy scooped me up in his arms, "I am sorry Kelly, but a fellow officer called in sick and it is my duty to take his place." [' I won't spank him if he throws a fit because I'm breaking a promise.']

"Oh darn it!! I was hoping that we could go to the park and feed the ducks and picnic," I pouted.

"Me too, [sigh] ' Why don't you ask Mister Woods what they're doing today? I know that Julie and Johnny love it when you play with them."

"That sounds like fun Daddy, but I'll miss you," then I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Then he hugged me close and put me down, " I promise you that after Church, we will have a picnic and feed the ducks at the park."

Then he kissed Momma and left, that was the last time that we saw him alive. He died in the Line of Duty that day and never came home. To this day, I can never look at a policeman without thinking of my Daddy. That is why I don't understand those that belittle those in Law Enforcement, perhaps if their Daddy was a policeman, thy'd understand me better.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me introduce you to my Momma: Terri Lynn Moore is my Momma.She is a natural green eyed redhead like me.She weighs 100 pounds soaking wet and is only 5 feet tall just like me. We look like Redheaded Olsen twins.

Whenever we go out, people think that we are twins which makes my Momma's day, the only real difference is that Momma has a few wrinkles around her eyes. She likes to knit, crochet and sew. She has made all of our clothes.

The only clothing we have bought is hosiery, lingerie and socks. Momma also has made several quilts and comforters. She loves giving away her quilts at Christmas and donates several to the church every year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was later that day about supper time that we heard the front doorbell ring, " Kelly, are you clean?"

"Yes Momma, I just washed up for dinner," Momma still bathed me every night before bed and did so until I went into the first grade.

"Then come with me to answer the doorbell."

"O.K. Momma," Then I ran up to her with slightly wet hands as she headed out of the kitchen where she was preparing our hamburger macaroni and cheese dinner, one of my favorites to this day.

"Well, I see that you didn't dry off", she giggled. ['My little ragamuffin never seems to dry off.']

"You said that you wanted me, so I kinda didn't dry off."

"That's alright Sweetie, you did as I asked.

"I know," I laughed.

Then Momma opened the door after checking out the porch through the glass paneling. Then when she opened the door, I saw two policemen standing at the door. As she let them in, she asked. " Do what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" [Please let it be good news.']

The older one was an elderly black man with a gray hair. He was almost as tall as my Daddy, besides him was a curly haired blond with blue eyes. He looked like a surfer dude. "Mrs. Moore, my name is Harold Branch, I am your husband Ed's commanding officer, with me is Officer Donald Whitehead." ['Dear God, why must he have such a young child? This will be harder than I thought.']

As Momma led them to the den, she asked as she sat down and put me in her lap, "Where's Stu? Is he alright?" [Is my nightmare finally made real?']

Then I saw the Captain slump into Daddy's chair as if he were a ragdoll, "This is one duty that I dread as the Captain Mrs. Moore,,," [I am getting too old for this.']

Then Momma wailed, "NO!!! HE CAN"T BE DEAD!!" ['WHY LORD!?! WHY?!']

Then I looked at Momma as I saw her cry, "Momma? What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

Then she hugged me to her, "Oh Kelly, your Daddy is never coming home again." ['The only promise he broke was to you.']

"Why Momma?" ['Why is Momma crying?']

"Because He has gone to Heaven." ['Please God, we need help!!']

"NO!!! DADDY CAN'T GO!!" Then I began to cry like Momma was because I knew then that I had no Daddy.

Then the Captain cleared his throat, "Mrs. Moore, I am truly sorry, but I want for you to know that Ed gave his life to save another." ['Small consolation, but Stu died a hero, unlike THIS beside me.']

"Please tell us how he died then." ['Knowing Stu, it was in the line of duty.']

"Please sir, I wanna know how Daddy went to Heaven." ['Why is my Daddy dead?']

"There was an accident where a delivery van crashed into an apartment complex. The van caused a lot of damage and there were several people there trapped under the debris. Ed went in and brought several out, but when he went back for a baby, the roof caved in on him. he saved the baby, but at the cost of his life," he sighed. ['Oh Stu, why did it have to be you? Why didn't you let the firemen go in that final time?']

"What about the driver? Is he being held responsible?" ['I need to know who's responsible.']

"No Ma'am, A tire blew out on the van causing him to lose control. he too died in the accident, and we are investigating everything about the tire." ['But in that neighborhood, probably a nail or a pothole.']

"Sir, is the baby alright? Daddy loved babies and wanted to adopt a baby girl." Then I saw Momma nod yes as she wept again.

"Yes Kelly, except for being scared, the baby is fine, And the parents want to name the baby after your husband to honor him." ['Can't think of a better way for them to honor Stu.']

"Is the baby a boy?" ['Cause Daddy has a boys name.']

Then the Captain grinned, "Yes, he's a boy." ['Even now, this child cares for others. He has a heart of gold.']

Then Momma looked at the other Officer," Why are you here?" ['Are you the reason that my Stu is dead?']

"I am the one that called in sick." [' It should have been me on duty, not him.']

"Funny, you look alright to me." ['Stu never drank when he was on call, and if he'd drunk earlier, he'd have declined.']

He looked down at his feet, unable to look at my Momma, "Ma'am, I got drunk last night and woke up with a hangover. That's why I called in sick," he fidgeted.

Then Momma got up and slapped him hard, "YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT STU IS DEAD BECAUSE YOU GOT DRUNK?!?! HOW DARE YOU WEAR THAT UNIFORM YOU BASTARD!!!" ['YOU ARE NOT WORTHY TO WEAR IT!!!']

Then Momma began to cry again as the Woods came in and when Mrs. Woods saw my Momma, she gathered me up in her arms, " What's wrong Kelly?" ['Has Stu finally been hurt? That man is so selfless that I worry for his safety.']

"Daddy has gone to Heaven," I sniffed as I dried my eyes.

Then she picked me up and fiercely hugged me"Oh Kelly, I am sorry for you dear, what happened?"

Then Momma looked up at her, grateful that Mrs. Woods held me, " Oh Andrea, it's the worst ever!! Stu is dead!!"

Then Mister Woods took me from his wife and let out a howl of rage, "STU!! I VOW TO RAISE KELLY FOR YOU!!"

"Chuck, I think that Kelly needs to play with our children right now, " Then he passed me back to his wife as I wept for my Daddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh yeah!! Meet Andrea Lynn Woods, my best friends Mother. She is a tiny Oriental woman whose parents owned and operated a restaurant. When her parents, died, her husband took it over & added it to his collection of restaurants. She loves to paint and do jigsaw puzzles. She has given away framed and completed puzzles as gifts.

And her husband is Charles Tyler Woods. He is a tall and rugged blue-eyed blond who looks as if he could easily be a lumberjack with his long hair and facial hair, or the next Fabio for Doctor Ruth.

He went into the restaurant business with his Dad and expanded "Wood's Family Restaurant into a local chain catering to the different tastes after his Dad retired.. When the local grocer closed shop, Mister Woods added it to his stores as well as a catering outlet.
Since then he has opened up a Cooking School where he creates new dishes for his customers and we get to sample his creations too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then she put me down gently, "Go and play with Johnny."

Then I scampered away to where the twins were standing. "Come on Kelly, let's watch cartoons."

"O.K. Julie," Then we went and turned on the T.V. while the adults talked. I can't tell you what we were watching because I was thinking about my Daddy. We used to play in the yard playing horsie and playing touch football and tennis. At times, Julie and Johnny would join us or w'd go play on their swing set.

But now, who would be my Daddy?

While we watched cartoons, Mister Woods showed his anger towards that bad cop, I never knew that he could be so MEAN!!!

He went up to that bad cop and pulled him up by his lapels, "YOU BASTARD!!! YOU!! ARE WHY MY BEST FRIEND IS DEAD!!! NO DOUBT TERRI SAID THAT YOU ARE NOT WORTHY TO WEAR THAT UNIFORM!! STU AND I ARE FRIENDS WITH THE COUNTY CONSTABLE ROBERT CONRAD!!! YOU WILL NEVER WORK IN CIVIL SERVICES AGAIN!!!!!"

Then the bad cop wet himself in fear of Mister Woods, "You (sob)are assaulting(choke) a police*shudder) officer. "

"No, you're dismissed from the force, no benefits."

."But sir, I .."

"You are to face a court martial.And prison as well." Then he looked at Mister Woods, Sir, please let him go."

Then Mister Woods dropped him, "My pleasure."

Then the Captain escorted the bad cop out as the adults all wept bitter tears for my Daddy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn't sleep well that night. I kept on reliving that afternoon whenever I closed my eyes. I finally got up and went to Momma where she was sitting at her vanity crying as she held a picture of Daddy in his Dress Uniform.

"[sniff, sniff] Oh Stu,[sniff, sniff] I miss your strong arms around me!![sniff, sniff] Now that you're gone, [sniff, sniff] I'm all alone!!!" she wept.

"[sniff, sniff] Momma,[sniff, sniff] you still have me [sniff, sniff] I began crying again, missing my Daddy.

Then Momma picked me up. "Oh Kelly, I know that you're here, but Stu, your Daddy is gone and I don't know what to do without him."

"Is there anything that I can do?"

"You can stay with me. You couldn't sleep. could you?"

"No Momma, I keep on seeing what happened when they came."

"Then sleep with me and we will comfort each other."

"O.K. Momma." Then she carried me to bed and we both slept soundly.


~`~`~`~`
The next day, we went to see Daddy at the Tri-County Funeral Home. I's where all civil servants are taken to when they're buried. Jefferson, Cherokee, and Choctaw counties had poled their resources to set up facilities to take care of their needs. next to the home is the Tri-County Bus Barn and Tri-County Courthouse. The Tri-County area was blessed with abundant streams for fishing and swimming as well as a natural harbor. The only reason that our city wasn't as big as New York is that the government only added houses when a corporation was willing to set up shop here.

Well, at the funeral home, Daddy looked handsome in his uniform. His casket was a rich mahogany with brass handles. The flowers around him were in every color of the rainbow. I almost didn't make it to see Daddy because I was so upset, but Pastor Patrick West helped me to pull together.

Mister Woods who was wearing his old boyscout uniform picked me up, "You look good Kelly,[sob] like your Daddy." ['Please don't be a policeman, I couldn't stand to lose you too.']

"[sniff,sniff]Thanks Mister Woods,[sob] I wore this to honor Daddy.[sob]"

"But would rather wear something else,[sniff] right?" ['I saw you fidgeting at your house, looking at your black suit.']

Then he passed me to his wife who was wearing her black silk gown, "[sniff,sniff] "Yes Ma'am,[sniff,sniff] but I want Daddy to know how much I love him." ['Daddy, I'd do anything for you!!!'

Then she passed me to my Momma who was dressed like Mrs. Woods, "[sob] Oh Kelly, you could have worn anything, [sob] your Daddy would have understood!! [sob] ['Even now, he wants to please, my son is still loving.']

Then Momma gently put me back in my chair in between the twins who'd arrived, "[sob] I know Momma, [sob] but he'd be hurt if I did that, [sob], besides, [sob] this is [sob] the last time [sob] that I can see him. [sob] " '[GOOD BYE DADDY!! I LOVE YOU!!']

"Kelly, please talk to Pastor Pat, he wants to help you if he can." ['He helped me to pul together for the funeral.']

"O.K. Momma."

Then Julie, wearing her black ballerina skirted leotard and tights kissed me, "Take care Kelly, I love you." ['So handsome, like his Daddy.']

Then Johnny hugged me, "Yeah, what Julie said." ['What can I do for my bestest friend?']

"Thanks everybody!!!"

Then Pastor Pat: the Pastor of the church that we and the Woods attend came over to me. He was wearing his black robe and silver sash and belt that he wore whenever he conducted the traditional service. "Kelly, I am here to help you if I can."

"Have you lost your Daddy?"

Then he scooped me up into his arms, "Yes Kelly, i lost my Daddy when I was in Seminary."

"Seminary? What';s that?"

"A special school that taught me how to be a Pastor, like my Daddy."

"Oh, how did he die?"

"He died in his sleep, after many years of serving God."

"I'm glad that he wasn't hurt like my Daddy, I am confused!!"

"About what?"

"Should I be a Police Officer like Daddy or do what I want?"

"What do you want to be?"

"I don't know, but I know that I don't want to be a Police Officer."

"Has anybody been saying that you should be an Officer?"

"Yes Sir."

"Who?"

Then I pointed to slim, hatchet-faced man with thinning black hair and wearing thick glasses, "That's the one, he said that I ought to take my Daddy's place, but how? I'm way too young!!"

"Don't you worry young man. Let me and Charlie handle this!!" Then he carried me to Momma and put me down by her. When I looked up, I saw anger in his face, let me tell you, I was scared.

"Terri, Kelly just told me that a certain person wants for him to take his Daddy's place as an Officer!!

"Who is this asshole?"

Pointing him out, "That's the one!!"

"Why that's Oscar Whipple, he's hated Stu ever since he caught him embezzling funds from the Police Officer's Christmas For Kids Account!! That weasel got put in jail for that, I see that he finally got out." she fumed.

"Don't worry Lynn, Pastor Pat and I will deal with him."

"Thanks Chuck."

Then they went over to him and escorted him outside, then came back a grinning from ear to ear, "Good news, he was wanted for parole violation. He's gonna be in jail for a long time now."

"Thanks."

Pastor Pat, will you take me to Daddy so that I can kiss him?"

"Sure Kelly, it'd be my pleasure."

Then he carried me over to my Daddy and I scrambled out of his arms so that I could kiss and hug my Daddy.

Then I began to cry, tears unashamedly running down my cheeks as I sang "Daddy's Hands" by the Judds to my Daddy.

By the time that I was finished, everybody was weeping with me, then Captain Branch gently carried me to my Momma who hugged me to her, "Kelly, thank you for that song, but you know that your Daddy never spanked you." Momma admonished me.

"[sniff] I know Momma, [sniff, sniff] but it was either that or "Daddy, [sniff, sniff] Don't You Walk So Fast." [sniff, sniff]. But it didn't feel right."

After the funeral, both Momma and I slept in the same bed to keep the nightmares away.