Menu Load Error

- Text Size +

To Friends, and being there when you need each other.

This story is about child whose circumstances change and how he comes to terms with that change and makes new friends. If you are looking for anything more explicit then look elsewhere, you won't find it here.



Part 1: New friends

It was so humiliating for Dennis, as his headmaster lead him into class the room filled with the laughter of almost all his classmates.

It was his own fault. He had always been disruptive, although he wasn't bad, just mischievous. Most of the time the teachers would have been laughing along with his antics, but they had to maintain some level of discipline in the class so they kept a straight face and did their best to keep him in check.

Halfway through the spring term he had been caught running in and out of the girls toilets, he'd been double dared to do it and there was no way he could turn down a challenge like that.

The toilets were empty at the time but that wasn't a valid excuse, even though Miss Bell didn't like doing it she knew this kind behaviour could not be accepted so she sent him to the Headmaster.

He had been here a few times before for minor offenses so he had some idea what was in store while he waited on the bench outside the office. On the other side of the door Miss Bell briefed the Head. on his latest misdemeanor.

When Dennis was admitted to the room he stood remorsefully in front of the Head who addressed him in quiet yet authoritative tones.
"Now then Dennis, this is a serious matter. So serious that I've telephoned your mother and she is coming in to discuss this matter with me".

Dennis might not be a stranger to the head but he had never been in this much trouble before so he had no idea what to expect. One thing he did know was if it was bad enough for his mum to be called then he should be worried.

"You can sit in the library, I'll call for you when we have finished talking your situation over."

He wandered into the library and looked along the shelves trying to find something interesting to read. Being alone and thinking about what his fate might be made it impossible to concentrate on the book and he quickly gave up.

It seemed like he had been sitting in there for hours when he was finally called for, his mother looked at him, sighed and shook her head before taking him home in silence which worried him deeply. She appeared to have a letter which she spent a long time pouring over, all he knew was that he was to see the Head on Monday before school.

That whole weekend was a washout, he tried all sorts of things to take his mind off Monday morning but nothing worked, both his parents could see the anxiety on his face. Dad also tried to play a board game to give him something else to think about but he couldn't concentrate on that either. Most of the time was spent with him lying on his bed staring at the models that hung from his ceiling. It was almost a relief when Monday arrived, the suspense would finally be over.

He left for school as normal, meeting his friends on the way. They were chatting as usual but he didn't feel like joining in this time. When they passed the school gates he split off on his own and they made no attempt to stop him.

Entering the head's office, he was surprised to see his mum there with a plastic bag. The head started to explain what was going on.

"You've probably realised that your actions could not go unpunished. With the disruptive history you have got I had every reason to exclude you from school."

Dennis looked at his feet.

"Now your mother has argued against that, she is convinced that you would probably never catch up from the disruption to your education." He paused to sip some water. "Checking your academic records I have to agree with her, she was very persuasive and by the end of our discussion I decided to relent on my original decision. However you need to be seen to be punished so there is one condition you have to meet."

Dennis knew the head's was a great believer in 'let the punishment fit the crime' but he had no idea what his fate would be. When his mother told him to strip to his vest & pants he looked puzzled and embarrassed and just stared at her. Then she opened the bag and started to pull things out of it. He quickly recognised a white blouse and grey pleated skirt and the puzzled look was replaced by a look of horror as he was hit by the realisation of what was going to happen to him.

"N-n-noo."

"If you behave it'll only be until Easter." his mother consoled.

"But that's six weeks away!" He buried his head in his hands and started to sob.

They let him regain a little of his composure then he got dressed with his mother's help and he was soon standing in front of the head wearing the blouse & skirt along with white knee socks, navy t-strap shoes and a navy cardigan.

The head smiled as kindly as he could. "You don't look like a Dennis anymore so we can't call that," he said, "the natural choice would be Denise but I don't think it suits you so the whole time you're at school until your punishment ends you will be called Donna.

Furthermore at the beginning and end of the school day your class teacher will supervise you changing. She'll also check that you look and behave like a girl throughout the day".

His humiliation was almost complete, wearing a blouse and skirt was bad enough but having to behave like a girl was beyond his comprehension, he felt sick to his stomach.

"Now then Donna dry your eyes and we'll introduce you to your class".

Dennis wiped his face even though he was sure he would soon be crying again. As he was lead out of the office he wished that the ground would open up and swallow him. Anything to avoid going through the next six weeks of his life.

The head quelled the raucous noise and addressed the class. "I'm sure you recognise Dennis here. You all know what he did so let this be a warning to you all, disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated".

Dennis's face turned beet red as every eye was now upon him.

"However if I find out that any of you boys have teased Donna then you'll be dressed in a similar way."

A snigger came from the back of the room at the mention of Dennis' new name. The head boomed "Thomas Winters if you want to push your luck I'm sure we can find a skirt that will fit you in our lost property."

The smile evaporated from the boys' face.

* * * * *

The first week was very hard on him, the other boys ignored him completely. They really wanted to taunt him, it was only the headmaster's stern warning that stopped them.

He thought he could count on his best friend, but Jason didn't know what to say to him and how to act around him. Maybe he thought that if he was seen with Dennis dressed as he was that everyone would make fun of him - he didn't have the headmaster's protection.

When break times came everyone else rushed out leaving Dennis trudging behind on his own, he would make his way outside, find a bench away from everyone and sit down alone to think. He had kept away from everyone for a few days but it wasn't helping him to cope with his situation. He took his usual bench and put his head in his hands, resting his elbows on his knees.

His thoughts were soon interrupted as he sensed someone close by, one of the girls in his class had joined him on the bench.

She turned to him "Are you okay?"

No answer.

"Look, you can try to ignore me but I'm not going away".

Dennis looked round.

"I'm a boy in a skirt, none of my friends want to know me anymore, I feel absolutely wonderful, marvellous, couldn't be better!"

The girl chuckled at his sarcastic reply and beckoned her friend who had been standing a few yards away.

"This is Jo and I'm Becky".

He asked, "Why are you talking to me, nobody else is."

"I know what it feels like to be on your own," Jo said, "I started here in the middle of term, I moped around for two weeks before Becky made friends with me. I can't stand to see anyone else go through that."

Dennis didn't know what to say, this was the first time since his punishment had started that he had seen anything close to a positive reaction from anyone. He felt a bit better, a smile almost broke through.

When they returned to class he followed and sat in the empty seat nearest to them, whenever he got the chance they got him to work with them. Being included in things was definately making him feel better. At lunch he would still try to sit on his own but usually Becky and Jo would make a point of joining him. They tried to include him in their conversations but he didn't really want to talk about girl things so he just carried on eating and tried to ignore it. The one thing he couldn't ignore was the way they kept on reminding him to check his skirt and how to sit.

A few days later just as he took a bite of his lunch Becky asked out of the blue "What's so bad about being a girl?"

He almost choked and it took him a couple of seconds to recover. "Well er- nothing I guess, if you were born a girl, but I wasn't, I'm a boy".

"Well everyone is supposed to treat you as a girl for a while, so why not go with it and try to enjoy it."

"Enjoy it, are you crazy!"

"Look," she continued. "the clothes aren't uncomfortable are they?"

"Well no, I like not having to wearing a tie, I'm almost getting used to the skirt."

"Yes, we've noticed, we hardly have to remind you to smooth it when you sit now. So what's the problem"

"Well like I said I'm a boy, I shouldn't be dressed like this."

"Then you shouldn't have gone in the girls toilets."

It was the first time they had mentioned his punishment, but he knew they were absolutely right.

"I know I deserved this, but that doesn't mean I have to like it."

"Well it's out of your control so just go with it, you've already said the clothes aren't a problem."

"Except the gym kit" he chipped in.

Jo now joined in, "Get a life, if you think that's bad just imagine how embarrassed you would be if you had to wear a leotard."

He tried not to think about that, it scared him too much.

"But that's the girls gym kit Jo, at least when we start outside in a couple of weeks we get the extra cover of a games skirt." Becky said.

'Hmmm.' thought Dennis, concerned that he found the prospect of wearing a games skirt slightly reassuring but was definitely relieved that he had been spared from wearing a leotard, he could see himself having nightmares about that.

* * * * *

Dennis had quickly got tired of changing into and out of his girl clothes at school and with everyone ignoring him he saw no problem in making the short journey there and back in a skirt.

Each morning he, Becky & Jo called on each other before walking the short distance to school looking like just another group of girls. In the short time they were together they had become almost inseparable. They had started playing together outside school and meeting up to do their homework as well. However even with the closeness they now had there was something that he noticed when they played, something different almost as if they were not quite as friendly, not as open outside school. He put that thought to the back of his mind as they ran around Becky's back garden.

With 3 weeks to go before Easter he really seemed to be adapting to his circumstances, he wouldn't say he was enjoying it but he no longer felt self-concious while wearing a skirt. Becky and Jo had helped with that.

Monday morning after breakfast as he got ready for school Dennis' mum walked into his room. "I've noticed your hair has been getting in your eyes" she said.

It was true, his hair was almost ready to be cut when he had first become Donna, now its length was a real pain and he spent a lot of his day pushing it away from his face. 'Great, I'll finally get a haircut' he thought.

His heart sank when she produced a small plastic bag and pulled a navy blue alice band from it. She smiled as she tucked the ends behind his ears and pushed the band back which pulled his loose hair into place.
"There sweetie, that looks so much better" she cooed.

That comment made him grimace, he didn't want to be anyone's 'sweetie'.

Both Becky and Jo gave him compliments about his hair band, Dennis just walked on. The last thing he wanted to hear was how pretty it made him look.
Most of that day he got strange looks which he had put down to the hair band, but by the end of school he had forgotten about it and was glad that his hair was no longer in his eyes.

The remaining days flew by and before he knew it the last day of term was here. Dennis was relieved to think that his time in skirts would soon be behind him. The three girls walked home happily chatting away for possibly the last time. He started walking up the path to his house when Jo stopped him, "Oh Donna this is for you." He took the envelope and opened it straight away, it was an invitation to her birthday party. She had said she was planning a big party but he had not expected to be included.

"Thanks Jo, of course I'll be there." he said gratefully.

Dennis had looked forward to being back with his mates again and rushed round to Jason's house as soon as he had removed his girl clothes. Jason's mother answered the door.

"Hi Mrs Sullivan, is Jason in?"

"I'm sorry Dennis, Jason has gone out on his bike. I expect he and the other boys are riding round in the woods, if you go now I'm sure you'll find them" she said.

"Oh well," he replied, "I'll try and catch up with them, thanks." He returned home disappointed.

* * * * *

After spending so many days wearing a skirt he felt strange to be back in trousers but the last three days had allowed him to re-adjust. He was starting to think that every- thing was back to normal again. It came as a complete surprise when he returned from his morning wash to find panties, a pink T-shirt, a dark blue skirt with a delicate floral design, white ruffly socks and white sandals laid out on his bed.

"Mum, what's going on" he called downstairs.

"Get dressed Donna, we're going shopping" she called back.

"But why the girl clothes mum?"

"Because we're going to get you some dresses. If you want to wear your boy clothes that's fine because everyone will think you're a big sissy".

Dennis knew when his mother was talking in this way it there was no point trying to reason with her. The choice was simple so he got dressed in record time and joined her in the car. He tried to be discreet as he was embarrassed to be seen like this so close to home.

His mother knew he would be uncomfortable and that wasn't she had in mind, so to minimize the chance of someone recognising him she drove toward a town a short distance away.

Once they were out of the neighbourhood Dennis relaxed a bit and turned to his mother, "I thought this had finished, I've not been in trouble. The head said it would only be till Easter."

His mum turned to him and smiled, "Yes I'm so proud of the way you've behaved, your school report was your best ever. So if you think I'm going to let mischievous Dennis start next term in place of my diligent daughter Donna think again. I was putting your education first when I agreed to the headmaster's condition and I'm going to do it again now. Besides you would lose Becky & Jo as best friends."

Dennis didn't like what his mother had said one bit but thought hard about it anyway and the longer he though the more convinced he became that his mother had been spot on. At school he didn't want to stand out (anymore than a boy in a skirt would), so he studied diligently and learnt with Jo and Becky instead of messing about and causing mayhem. Suddenly his relationship with the two girls was drawn into sharp focus. In school they did everything together, they were like the 3 musketeers, but when he went back to being Dennis he realised the strange feeling he got was because they were decidedly colder toward him. He also remembered the invitation to Jo's party and that it was Donna who had been invited not Dennis.

They completed the journey in silence as he continued to think everything over. Dennis remained silent as they went from shop to shop, his mother thought he was sulking but he was still pondering what she had said and what he was going to do about it. Everything was quickly ticked off the shopping list: summer schooldresses, a couple of sundresses and a party dress plus all the accessories, then cotton underwear, socks and shoes. Dennis' mum was now ready to leave but Dennis had finally worked everything through and decided that he had other ideas.

"Mum look at these." he trilled, he was gesturing at a rack of girls check shortalls. She turned, gave him a strange look, walked up to him & whispered "Dennis what are you doing?"

"Well mum, I thought about everything you said and you're right, if I want to stay friends with Becky & Jo it'll be as Donna. There's no way I want to lose their friendship, in fact I want us to be even better friends. That means I'll be Donna more often, so I'm gonna need more girl clothes". Mrs Wilkins hugged her new daughter tightly, then took two pairs of the shortalls from the rack and the two of them carried on shopping.

Dennis was bombarded by all kinds of new sensations as he tried on slips and then dresses of all descriptions. When they had chosen enough dresses (well enough for his first time anyway) they moved onto skirts and tops. Mrs Wilkins chose conservative styles to ease her daughter into girlhood, once again Dennis had other ideas. Everything that he chose was sure to make him look like the very pretty girl he was intent on becoming.

When the day was done they trudged back to the car laden down with bags and boxes. They had things in every style and colour imaginable 'There is so much more choice for girls' he thought, no wonder they take longer to shop.

They put their shopping away in the spare wardrobe in Dennis' room, it seemed so strange to see the girl clothes being put into a boys bedroom but they didn't have the time to redecorate.
It took a lot longer than they had planned to put everything away. Every time that they opened a box or bag Dennis couldn't resist the urge to try something on again.

Only this morning he had been reluctant to put on a skirt, now he was enjoying every second that he wore one.

The days events had made Dennis extremely tired so he went to bed a lot earlier than usual, he undressed and went to his drawers for some pyjamas. To his surprise on the top of the drawer was a package wrapped in tissue paper with a note attached.

It read 'Dear Donna, hopefully these will allow you to sleep like a girl tonight. Love Mum'.

He removed the paper to reveal a pair of satin pyjamas, they were pink and had little white hearts all over. He slipped them on, climbed into bed and almost immediately fell into a contented sleep. As she went to bed herself his mum stood at the door smiling as she watched her daughter and wondered what (s)he was dreaming about.

The following morning he joined his mother at the breakfast table still in his pyjamas.

"I love these so much, thanks mum" he said.

"I thought my little girl would enjoy wearing them" she replied.

Dennis became serious. "Is it really okay for me to enjoy being a girl, it feels so right but I feel guilty." he said.

"Why?" said his mother, "You're not harming anyone, you like it and I enjoy having a daughter around. I get to do some of the things that my mother did with me that I thought I'd never get a chance to do."

She checked his expression before continuing, "Don't get me wrong, I love my son, its just there are so many things that a mother and daughter can share that a mother and son can't."

Dennis looked amused and said, "Like what?"

"You'll find out sooner or later." she replied with a wily look on her face.

"Then I guess I'll have to stay as a girl for a while so I can find out." he said smiling.

* * * * *

It was the morning of Jo's birthday party and a light rain fell, Dennis put on his lightweight raincoat and ventured outside. Mum drove him to the house, pulled up outside and watched as he walked up to the door. The rain had almost stopped but he kept the coat on and the hood up.

Jo answered herself, "hi Dennis" she said sweetly but her face betrayed the way she was feeling when she realised who was there. Dennis' face broke into a mischievous grin.

"Don't you mean 'hi Donna'?" he said, removing his coat.

The look of disappointment on Jo's face was immediately replaced by a beaming smile bright enough to cheer the dullest of days. She tried to think of something to say but her mouth just flapped as words failed her, finally she regained her composure and called "Becky, I think you should see who's here."

Becky hurried out to see what the fuss was about.
Underneath the coat he was wearing a peach party dress with puffed sleeves and lacy trim, its full skirt was held out by the petticoat he wore underneath. His hair which had been hidden under the hood had been styled in a ponytail and was decorated with peach & white scrunchies. Becky squealed and hugged Dennis, Jo joined them in the embrace.

Dennis's mum wasn't going to miss an opportunity like this, she called from the car, "can I take a picture of you three pretty girls?".

They all laughed and stood together on the doorstep. They were a colourful sight, Dennis in peach, Becky in blue & pale green and the birthday girl in the middle wearing a delightful yellow, orange and red dress.

Dennis's mum clicked away, 'definitely one there for the album' she thought.

The three girls disappeared inside to enjoy the party. Dennis had been invited to girls birthday parties before, but this was the first time he had gone to an all girls party and certainly his first birthday party in a dress. However as Donna she felt that she fitted right in. It was a brilliant party, everything that Jo had hoped it would be, playing games and having fun the whole time. Only once did he feel out of place, he'd just won one of the party games when one of Jo's other friends turned on him.

"What are you doing here, you're not a real girl so you have no right to be here." she said.

Before Donna could react Jo leapt to her defence and said, "If Donna goes then this party is over."

Jo did not often get angry like that so it was plain to see that this was something she felt strongly about. If anyone else had a problem with Dennis they knew that mentioning it again would be a serious mistake.

After the party had ended a steady stream of parents called to pick up their daughters until only Donna, Becky and Jo remained.

"Why don't you three go out into the garden for a bit" Jo's mother suggested.

Becky and Jo led Donna out into the garden to talk.

Both girls were so eager to question their friend that they began talking at the same time, Donna couldn't help laughing. Eventually Jo took charge of the conversation.

"What changed your mind about being a girl?" she said.

"Yes, you were so reluctant." Becky added.

"It was something that my mum told me." Donna said.

She then went on to tell them about the shopping trip Dennis had been on with mum: their talk during the drive, what he had felt and thought and what he had done about it.
When she told them the main reason was because he didn't want to lose their friendship they smiled and said "Donna! that's soo sweet, we love you too and we wouldn't want to lose you either."

The three friends hugged again, then they carried on talking until it got dark. Jo's mum offered to walk Becky and Donna home but Donna reminded her that her mum was going to take them on her way back from doing the shopping. They kept checking the front windows until a car that they recognised pulled up.

The three girls said their goodbyes on the doorstep and Donna and Becky approached the car, Donna got about halfway then froze, Becky saw why immediately, it was Donna's dad driving the car and while he knew about the situation at school she knew she had not told him about her girl self the rest of the time.

He wound the window down and said, "Come on Donna, do you want a lift or not?"

"Bu-bu-but how did you know?" Donna said.

"Why don't you two get in and we'll talk as we drive," he replied.

He explained he had known everything since the headmaster had started making him wear the girls uniform. He said nothing then because he didn't want to embarrass Dennis more.

When Dennis decided to be Donna voluntarily he wasn't all that happy about it until Mrs Wilkins had explained to him why their child was doing it. Mr Wilkins had always had a problem making friends when he was young so he wasn't going to stop his son having the kind of friendship he had badly missed even if he had to become a girl to do it. Donna felt a lot better knowing her father didn't have a problem with him being a girl.

They dropped Becky off safely and as Donna arrived back at home she knew how lucky she was, not only was she able to call Jo & Becky her friends but she had a family who understood too.

End of Part 1