Menu Load Error

- Text Size +
Counsellor at large

13 - Late Night Shopping

by Penny Lane


After the excitement of the day Belle takes Marion for a little retail therapy in New Town. Although time is short, they still manage to make some significant additions to Marion's wardrobe before heading for a restaurant for a quiet dinner for two.


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2010 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


"How do we get down to New Town from here, Belle? Taxi?"

They were walking up to the tram stop after changing and leaving the facility. They had managed to get away before the usual crush of the change of shifts, although there were numbers of evening shift staff walking down the slight slope towards them, and there were other workers walking to and from factories that lay beyond the facility. The sky was still light as yet, and it seemed that they would get to the stores before it became totally dark.

"No, dearest, although that's one way we could have done it. We'll get a tram out the other direction to the end of the line. It's only two stops, shouldn't take long. That drops us at Fairoak, where we can get a Blue Line train directly into the city. We'll get off at St. James's and catch a Metro up two stops to Constitution Square. As you know, that'll drop us just where we want to be - at one end of the shopping area."

"You have this all planned out," Marion said. "I assume it's a route you've used before?"

"Oh, yes," Belle replied with a smile. "When we go out on the town we change at work and use this route. Most of us could do it blindfolded by now. If we get all the connections right, it'll take us less than half an hour."

The tram they caught had familiar faces getting off as they got on, Shepherds who Marion knew by sight going in to start their evening shifts. A short ride took them to a bustling suburban shopping area where they got off and headed for the Rapid Transit station. They stood for a few minutes on the crowded platform waiting for the next train.

"I thought you didn't much like this sort of shopping," Belle said as they waited. "Earlier, you sounded as though you couldn't wait. What brought on that change of mind?"

Marion screwed up her face. "I wouldn't quite go that far," she replied. "I suppose it's just that we've had some very good news today, and that's put me in a good mood. Also, I've given my second sample so I don't have to worry about that any more. I can now just concentrate on becoming a woman properly." A man, standing unnoticed behind them reading from a datapad, did a double-take on hearing this conversation and decided to move further down the platform.

"I'm beginning to understand your point of view a little better," Marion continued, "and the prospect of adding to my wardrobe doesn't worry me like it used to do, because I now understand better how various items and styles relate to one another. Perhaps before I saw this whole business as a chore, at least now I see it as a necessary chore. Who knows, one day I might be able to enjoy it the way you seem to."

"You make it sound like hard work, love," Belle said. "Some shopping certainly is a chore, but clothes shopping for a woman is mostly a chance to have a bit of fun, try things out one would never otherwise be seen dead in, experiment with new styles, find out what works and what doesn't, generally have a good time and boost the old ego at the same time. Of course, it's lots better if there's more than one of you. Shopping is definitely a group exercise, although groups of two is good, too."

The train came in at that point and they squeezed aboard along with the rest. There was absolutely no chance of a seat to start with, but as they approached the next station Marion had a tap on the shoulder.

"Your pardon, citizen, we're getting off at the next stop. If you and your friend would like our seats?"

"Why, thank you, citizen."

Marion and Belle sat down facing one another as the train stopped. Marion realised that she was glad she was wearing a pencil skirt, because it automatically pulled her legs together and kept her posture that of a modest woman. She eyed the other commuters sitting around her, noticing the sprawled postures of the men, legs mostly spread apart. I will have to learn how to sit as a woman on these trains, she thought. It's different on the trams, the seats are so close together that one has to sit tidily upright, but on trains like these, where there is more room between the seats, I might slide into bad habits.

With a jolt she remembered the problem she had had one morning previously, when her skirt had been tight and exposed things best left unseen. This skirt is tight, especially when I'm seated. I wonder if I'm showing anything? Casually lowering her gaze, she found that she couldn't see her lap because of her breasts. Then she realised that her bag was in her lap, completely hiding the area in question. Thank goodness for that. It's one of the reasons, after all, why we're doing this trip, so that I can find some better-fitting skirts. But I must remember to be alert in the future, especially if I get some that are much looser-fitting. Something must have shown on her face, because Belle gave her a look and a raised eyebrow, to which she replied with a quirk of the lips and a tiny shake of the head.

After a small number of stops the train pulled into St. James's, one of the main rail stations. Like most of the travellers they alighted and headed straight for the escalators down to the Metro.

"Clamp your bag under your arm while we're down here," Belle instructed. "The Metro is a magnet for pick-pockets, especially in tourist season."

Two stops standing on a hot, crowded subway train saw them emerge into the warm evening air in Constitution Square. Although the sun had not yet set all the lights were on, both over the roadway and in the shops which lined the square and the streets leading off from it. On one side stood the Old Parliament Building, floodlit as was the Mansion House facing it across the square, the official home of the First Minister.

"You've been here before, surely?" Belle brought Marion back to the here and now.

"Um, yes, but not at this time of day. I don't think I've seen it all lit up like this except on broadcasts, and you know that's not quite the same. Where are we going to go first?"

"We need to work our way down Constitution Street," Belle pointed to a wide traffic-free street leading off one side of the square. "The first port of call, I think, will be Hansell's. We have to get you a Night Wrap, preferably before you're arrested."

The chances of Marion being arrested were almost non-existent at this time of year, but one could never tell what an officious Proctor might do if he stopped them. Marion knew the reason for the regulation, some years back two young women had frozen to death in separate incidents and others had been treated for frostbite. They had been out partying in town during winter and had not been wearing any outer garments over their party clothes, as was the custom up to that point.

A regulation had been hastily drawn up to prevent any further tragedies. Any woman - or man - who was not wearing appropriate outer clothing when the temperature dropped below specified levels would be immediately arrested and carted off to spend the night somewhere warm and probably uncomfortable. The required outer garment had simple specifications, complete coverage of the body, hem to cover the knees, sleeves to reach the wrists, optional hood, insulation efficiency to determined levels. The garment theoretically needed to be available at all times in case the temperature dropped below the prescribed level, although in practice this was not usually enforced during summer months.

A whole new industry had sprung up overnight. Most garments were made of space-age fabrics and could be folded up small enough to take as little space in a bag as an umbrella did. Styles, colours and designs proliferated. Most people treated them now as just another fashion item. Belle led Marion into the gaping maw of Hansell's and she involuntarily closed her eyes against the intense glare of the thousands of watts of lighting in the entrance foyer.

"Come on, love, it'll be better upstairs." They climbed on an escalator and went up two floors. "Have you any thoughts on what design you might like?"

Marion shrugged. "Can we just look around, see what's here? I've seen women wearing them, of course, but never thought I'd need one, so didn't examine them too much."

"Can't see why you would have. Look, there's a display over there. What do you think? Cloaks, capes, trench coat, poncho - no, I don't think so, a parka, swing coats. Those on the end are for pregnant women, I think. You realise most of these are completely water-repellent, don't you? If you pick a suitable style, you can keep it in your bag and use it as a raincoat instead of getting out your umbrella. Might be useful if you need both hands free. It's up to you."

"See, this is one of the difficulties a mere man faces," Marion said. "There's just too much choice. Yes, I know, there's a very good reason for the choice, but it will all make more sense when I've actually got a reasonable wardrobe. Your point about a raincoat is taken, though. Perhaps I ought to look at one of those?"

Marion tried on several styles and sizes before settling on a classic double-breasted trench coat. It had a matt-satin finish and was a colour the label called 'Titanium'. Marion fingered the fabric. It was very thin, the outer layer being of a microfibre material that repelled dirt and water molecules. The inner was a synthetic that looked and felt like raw silk but was more hard-wearing. Between the two there was a third layer composed of a thermally reflecting material normally found in space suits. The whole garment weighed at least half a kilogram and when rolled up fitted into a pouch the same size as her folded umbrella.

At Belle's suggestion Marion also bought a matching folding hat, a trilby made of the same material as the coat which was held in shape by fine memory wires in the brim and crown. This also disappeared into Marion's bag.

"Hm. You looked very foxy wearing that," Belle murmured. "This trip could turn out to be quite interesting. Right. Now we have done the legal bit, we can get on with the main event. Downstairs?"

Marion looked at Belle with interest. All the doubts and fears of previous days had been forgotten. Even the euphoria both had experienced this morning on receiving Malenski's approval had been dampened by Belle by her focus on the current task. In front of Marion was Diana the Huntress, her prey to be sought out on the rails and shelves of the many stores lining Constitution Street. This was a different Belle, a confident Belle who would certainly not take any nonsense from those who got in her way. With her partner in her present state, Marion felt quite secure, and that boded well for the success of the evening.

"Lead the way, partner. We have bargains to discover."

Since Belle wanted to cover a certain number of stores during the evening, and she apparently had ideas on what Marion needed, their progress through the departments was fairly ruthless. It seemed that no time at all had passed before Marion was standing in front of a payment point with a pile of skirts and matching tops over her arm.

"Your card, citizen," the assistant returned Marion's card and began lifting up the eight or nine bags to pass them across to her. "Thank you for shopping with us."

"Can you deliver these for us, citizen?" Belle asked. "We don't want to spend the evening lugging all these bags around the other shops."

"Deliver?" the woman repeated doubtfully, looking at them. "I'm sorry, citizen, I don't know that we do deliveries."

"Whenever I've bought from here before," Belle overrode the woman's protests, "There was no difficulty having the goods delivered to the Enclave."

"Ah, the Enclave, citizen? If you would be so good as to wait, I'll consult my supervisor."

An older woman came out of a rear door, spectacles perched at the end of her nose.

"Service. You wish to have your purchases delivered, citizens? May I see your cards, please?"

Belle and Marion handed over their cards. The woman's manner changed in an instant.

"Yes, of course, citizens! Your cards. Certainly we can deliver. Next time, to avoid any difficulty, if you would show your card to the security manager at the store entrance, your goods will be automatically flagged at the payment desk. Marie, take these bags down to dispatch, please. Wait a minute, I'll wrap this tag through the handles, that will ensure they end up at the right place. Citizens, I regret the delay, thank you for shopping with us."

"Well, I certainly didn't expect that!" Marion exclaimed as they took the down escalator. "I was wondering how we were going to manage with all those bags, especially as we've only just got started."

"Only just got started!" Belle echoed with humour. "I like the sound of that. Yes, they don't advertise it, but most of these stores will deliver. They would rather not deliver to certain parts of the city, so you just have to be persistent about it. Of course, just mentioning the Enclave makes a lot of difference."

"Yes, I've noticed how you shamelessly name-drop when it's convenient to you."

"I don't, do I? Of course, I've never lived anywhere else, so it probably doesn't mean as much to me as it would to anyone else." Belle's privileged background prevented her from understanding her own mannerisms. Marion decided that it wouldn't be too much of a problem if it made their life together more comfortable, but there were obvious dangers. They reached the entrance and again Marion squinted against the illumination.

"Next," Belle pronounced, "we need to go to Grainger & Grainger. You need at least two more summer dresses, you can't keep going into the park in the same one all the time. We can have a look at different styles as well as some of the other outfits on offer."

"What was wrong with looking in Hansell's, then? You didn't even bother in there."

"They don't really offer that kind of thing, they specialise more in practical daily wear which is why we got skirts and tops there as well as the Night Wrap. Grainger's is more fashion-oriented."

They found themselves back on the crowded street. Crowded since in the time they had been in the store the whole thoroughfare had filled with shoppers, tourists and citizens stopping to purchase things on their way to or from work. The noise levels were beginning to rise as they pushed their way the one block to their next target.

There were oasis along the way where the crowds thinned. Small black kiosks stood at intervals, each attended by a Proctor and usually four Enforcers, all keeping an eye over the crowds and making sure the business of the city ran smoothly. At the intersection of each block, where the traffic used to cross, a larger booth stood where other Enforcers waited, each with a leashed dog. Everyone gave these a wide berth. Finally the two women reached the entrance of the next store and entered.

"I've been here before," Marion said over the hubbub. "Anna used to bring me here when she bought things, although we couldn't afford most of the prices." She looked to left and right once through the doorway. "I have an idea. Are we going to be buying much in here?"

"Probably not as much as in Hansell's, but the bags will be bigger. Why?"

"Let's try that tip we got given there, then. There it is, follow me."

Marion pushed her way to one side of the entrance to where a uniformed man stood behind a desk.

"Service, citizens. Something I can do?"

"Service, possibly yes. We're going to be buying some clothes in here, it occurs to me that you may be able to deliver for us." The man opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, Marion explained, "We live in the Enclave. My card, citizen."

The man closed his mouth and he took the proffered card. One glance at the screen and he gave them a smile.

"Of course, citizens, it will be a pleasure. Just tell the sales assistant whether you wish to take a purchase or have it delivered, and we'll do the rest. Your card. Enjoy your shopping."

As they moved into the store Belle said, "You caught on quick! It's not a thing I've ever thought of doing before myself, but it will make our task a little easier if we don't have to keep humping bags around. Ah, I think we need to go up a floor to find what we need."

Marion selected two summer dresses, one of a similar floral design to her existing one, but with simple shoulder straps instead of a full bodice, and the other a floral overlay over a complex arrangement of horizontal pastel stripes. She dithered over a third dress which had a pale pink plaid design.

"I'm surprised," Belle declared. "Here I was thinking I had to drag you round these shops and I see you wanting to buy everything in sight! What brought this on?"

"Nothing too earth-shattering. Since we've been in the park I understand and appreciate wearing dresses like these now. With the park just below us, I'm guessing we'll be spending some time in there in the future, especially if we are going in with the Mattesons, so I wanted to make sure I had enough variety to wear. Like you said, I can't just keep wearing the same thing all the time."

"Truth. But remember, fashions change all the time. You'll have plenty of opportunity to add to your collection as the months and years go by."

Months and years. Yes, it still hasn't really sunk in yet, has it? I'm going to be wearing clothes like this until the day I die. I thought I'd got comfortable with the notion of being a woman, but put like that, it makes one think.

"Love? Something wrong?"

"No, Belle, not really. I think I should have this one as well. What do you think?"

"I'd like to see it on you, but I think it goes well with your colour."

Marion pulled the dress from the rail and looked around for the changing rooms. The two made their way to the back of the department where an officious-looking dragon stood guard over what looked like an entrance to a grotto.

"Three dresses? For this citizen? Your card, please... I think cubicle two is free, citizen." She held her hand up to stop Belle following. "I'm sorry, citizen, you'll have to wait. You can see what she looks like when she comes out of the cubicle."

Belle stood in the entrance tapping her feet impatiently until Marion emerged wearing the first of the dresses. Holy crap, she does look good. Thank the stars that I got to her before any man set eyes on her. She wouldn't have stood a chance.

"You look wonderful, dearest." The dragon fixed her beady eye on Belle. "Give me a turn? Yes, that fits you perfectly." Belle turned to the dragon as Marion went back into the cubicle to change into the next dress. "She does look good, doesn't she? You have such wonderful designs in here, I'm glad we came."

Taken off guard, the dragon smiled. "I'm pleased that you think so, citizen. Your sister, is she?"

Belle decided to quit while she was ahead, so replied, "No, she's just a very good friend, but she's never visited the capital before. She needs to get some good basics for her wardrobe."

"She has a good figure, I see, but her posture's a little strange."

"Ah, a recent accident."

Marion appeared in the other two dresses to general approval and then came back with them over her arm.

"We'll take all three, citizen." She handed over her card. "If you can deliver?"

"Why certainly, citizen."

As Belle led her away, Marion asked, "What next, then?"

Belle promptly replied, "You need at least two party frocks. Over there, I think."

"Party frocks?" Marion came to an uncertain stop. "I don't think I'm quite ready for that, Belle. I've barely got used to going back and fore to work, even this evening is a big step for me. What sort of parties are we talking about, anyway?"

"Oh, nothing special, just the odd night out with the girls, to start with. After all, we had good news this morning, didn't we, and they'll all want to celebrate it with us. I'm almost certain that there will be other things to celebrate in the near future, won't there?" Belle looked at Marion with a kind of question on her face that plainly asked, I think I know where our relationship is going, I haven't got it wrong, have I?

Marion realised that without consciously being aware of it, she had approached several important milestones in her new life. Milestones that everyone was taking for granted, milestones that she suddenly understood that women customarily treated in a completely different way than men would. Milestones that would soon involve her in several very public appearances.

She temporised. "The girls, you say. Which girls are we talking about, exactly?"

"Oh, I'm sure half the facility would love to be involved, but of course that can't happen, especially as we're so stretched at the moment. I meant primarily just the E Deck day shift, we tend to go out as a unit. You of course are effectively an honorary member of that unit now. I'm sorry, I thought that you realised what was likely to happen."

"I didn't, I'm afraid. Let's go over there and sit down a moment," Marion said. She led the way over to a small group of chairs at one side of the department, normally used for bored male partners or tired older citizens to take the weight off their feet. Once seated, Marion chose her words carefully.

"Look, Belle, perhaps this is something we ought to have discussed properly beforehand, but it never occurred to me that I would have to prepare so soon for going out with the others." Belle's face fell. "Don't get me wrong, I did realise that it was going to happen one day, but not just yet. I should have given more thought to the consequences of going to the fertility clinic. Don't forget, I never expected to be fertile at all, so the news we had today hasn't properly sunk in yet. We've been distracted lately as well, haven't we?"

Belle nodded. "My apologies, dearest, I've been letting my enthusiasm carry me away. I haven't thought of how it might have affected you. And maybe I've been assuming too much."

"Not at all. We wouldn't have embarked on a no-holds-barred fight to get me into the Enclave if we hadn't both planned to take our relationship to it's logical conclusion, would we? It's just that the relationship is going to be somewhat different from what we both originally expected. I bet you never considered becoming a mother, did you? We need to have a good, long talk through what our future likely holds, and soon, too. Perhaps at the week-end if we can find the time."

Belle gave a sigh of relief, and her face lightened. "Thank you, dearest. I knew I was right about you, and of course you're entirely right about our future." She became serious. "But the girls will want a night out sometime very soon. They'll know that you'll have problems with that, and they'll probably tone down what we do, but they'll still want a party to celebrate and I don't think they'll want to put it off very long. That's why I suggested we look at frocks, that's all."

"It's why you wanted to come out shopping this evening, isn't it? In case we have to go out over the week-end, and I needed something to wear." Marion nodded thoughtfully. "Apologies, I've been a little slow on the uptake, but a discussion about what we planned to buy tonight wouldn't have gone amiss."

Belle looked suitably contrite. "Yes, I assumed you would realise what we had come out for, but you don't have the background yet for such expeditions. Do you want to carry on?"

Marion thought, and then dropped her shoulders with a sigh. "It's something I have to do sometime, so it might as well be tonight. You have to understand, this is an experience I don't have any comparison for in my previous life. It's not like the running gear, or even the other shopping we've done. I just don't have anything to relate it to."

Belle nodded. "I do understand. But places like these are perfect for discovering just what might work and what doesn't. That's why women take armfuls of clothes into the changing rooms. There's no obligation to buy."

"Let's do it, then," Marion said as she stood. "I won't guarantee to like any of it, but I must at least try."

"Good girl."

They walked into an area where mini-shops displayed rack after rack of evening wear, both short and long. Marion shuddered as she looked at it all. Every colour, design and fabric could be seen, although after a while she began to see that each concession in fact co-ordinated the clothes so that they formed practical sets.

"We'll leave the long stuff for another time," Belle said. "That's for properly formal occasions, and I can't think of anything that might require a long dress happening very soon. We could always pick up a dress or two in Old Town if something comes up suddenly. What you need is something like this."

Belle pulled a short green satin dress off the nearest rail and held it up.

"You expect me to wear something like that? No wonder young women were dying of exposure."

Belle returned the dress to the rail. "No, perhaps you're right. These are a little on the young side for us, I think. Let's go further round here, ah, this is more like it. How about this one?"

The dress was still alarmingly short, but at least had the virtue of a halter neck strap to support the bodice. It was cobalt blue, shiny and concealed very little.

"Or this one?" The second dress was black and just looked like a handful of lace draped over the hanger. The material was soft and flowing so it would have to be worn to find out what it looked like. "Here's another. Perhaps the classic Little Black Dress is what you should be aiming for tonight. No woman should be without her Little Black Dress."

With five dresses over her arm they returned to the domain of the dragon. She smiled at Marion and allocated her to cubicle one. Belle tried to follow but the dragon held out her arm again.

"Only the patron purchasing the clothes is permitted in the cubicles, citizen. The rule is there to prevent theft."

Belle gave the woman a long stare and eventually she responded with a stammer, "Ah, I wasn't implying that you were a thief, citizen, just that I'm enforcing the rules."

Marion, clad in just a slip, poked her head out through the curtain.

"Ah, I think I need someone to help me with these," she said.

The dragon turned to an assistant who was just handing over a bag to another customer behind them.

"Claire, will you help the citizen in cubicle one, please? She's trying on dresses."

"Yes, supervisor."

The young woman walked into cubicle one. Shortly there was a squeal and she backed out again, her hands over her mouth. She turned to her supervisor, her eyes wide. Belle abruptly realised what had happened and leaned over to firmly clutch the dragon's arm.

"Easy, there," she said, "don't let's do anything hasty, citizen."

The young assistant was coming towards them and tried to speak. "She, she has -"

The dragon turned a baleful glare on Belle. "Remove your hand, citizen, or I will call security."

"My companion did not become the way she is by choice," Belle said to both. At the same time she removed her hand from the supervisor's arm. "I was one of those who rescued her." She fumbled in her bag. "My card."

"You will explain," the woman said, in tones that expected no argument. "Or I will call security."

Belle leaned towards the woman. "That would not be a good idea," she said firmly. "The resulting court case I shall bring will not do you or your employers any favours. My card."

"Court case?" the dragon said disdainfully. "I don't see how we've done anything wrong here. You and your companion are the ones causing the disturbance."

She took the card from Belle and pushed it into the slot in the side of the till, activating the reader. She looked disinterestedly at the information displayed, wondering how this could possibly affect whatever had happened.

"What am I supposed to be looking at, citizen?"

"Well, you could start with my name, and then look at my address."

The dragon read Belle's name without recognition. Mention of the Enclave set alarm bells ringing, and then she looked at the name again and made the connection. Her expression underwent a complete transformation. An entirely artificial professional smile came on her face as she looked at Belle.

"Ah, Citizen Marchand, I had no idea."

"That's all right, citizen, you were not to know."

"The disturbance still requires an explanation, however."

"I would strongly suggest that you and your assistant join me in cubicle one, where I will explain what I can."

After assigning another assistant to handle other waiting customers the two women joined Belle in the cubicle, where a scared Marion stood against the back wall holding her slip up in front of her nearly-naked body.

"It's all right, love, we can fix this," Belle said to her.

The assistant called Claire spoke to Marion. "Apologies, citizen, I was surprised when I saw -"

"Those?" Belle completed for her in a low voice which she hoped wouldn't carry to the next cubicle. "Yes, my partner, for that is who she is, has been involuntarily changed from a man into a woman. She is still learning how to come to terms with her new life. I had forgotten that she would have to take almost everything off to try on these dresses."

Marion was wearing only panties and tights, and her male equipment showed plainly through the thin material.

The supervisor looked at Belle, a question in her eyes.

"We work together at a Female Offender Containment Facility," Belle explained. "My partner was originally sent there in error as an offender - and as a man. There were a number of serious system failures."

"A man sent to a female containment facility? The State does not make mistakes like that," the woman said sceptically.

"You don't know the half of it, and most of the story is under seal. He was changed into a woman against his will, and it is impossible for him to go back. The State acknowledged it's mistakes and he, she, has been given a permanent pension. I was one of those who uncovered the mess. What I have told you is in confidence, you understand?"

"I do indeed, Citizen Marchand," the supervisor said. "My apologies for over-reacting. You understand, we had no way of knowing. Shall we leave you together to try on the clothes?"

Belle nodded. "Thank you, citizens. And, of course, this whole incident would have been avoided if you had allowed me to accompany her in the first place."

After the two were left alone, Marion asked, "What happened? She asked me to take off the slip, then just went 'eek' and backed out."

"You didn't realise? She saw those." Belle pointed. "Bit of a shock to her, I should imagine."

"It never occurred to me," Marion replied. "Everyone at work knows, I never gave it a thought."

"Not to worry, I've managed to defuse the situation. Now, which one of these are you going to try first?"

In the end Marion chose to keep only the black lace dress. This was short, but it had the virtue of longish sleeves which were full enough at the top to avoid her shoulders becoming noticeable. It had an opaque black liner which concealed her from breast to crotch but the rest was just lace overlay. The neckline came lower than anything Marion had ever worn before, but the fact that it covered her shoulders more than compensated for that. Belle nodded approvingly. It was plain that the design was classic and that Marion would get significant wear from the garment.

"I'm sorry," Marion said as they went down the escalator, "although those dresses I tried all fitted, I felt extremely uncomfortable in most of them. It's going to take me some time to get used to exposing so much of my body in public like that."

"You felt the same way about the running gear to start with," Belle replied. "You seemed to adapt to that after you'd been out in it for a run."

"Sort of. I was concentrating so hard in getting my technique right I didn't really notice what went on around me to start with. Then, it seemed all right because I got so warm."

"I expect the same thing will happen with party clothes. Everyone will be wearing similar things, and it will get quite warm as the evening wears on. You'll be glad you're not wearing too much after a couple of hours."

"The heat," Marion said firmly, "is not the point, and you know it. Those scraps of cloth just made me feel like bait again. And why do they have to be in such lurid colours?"

"Because every woman wants to be different to every other woman, and a lot of them, probably most of them, will go to any length to be noticed."

"By men, you mean?"

"By men and by other women. As far as men are concerned, a woman's clothing is seen as decoration, wrapping paper to be removed later to get at the goodies inside." Marion shuddered. "For women, much the same in fact, but it's also for points scoring. My dress is more exclusive than yours, mine costs more, mine's more daring and so on. We do it the same way men do it about cars, or houses, or bank balances, but we can also appreciate the way that different clothes suit different people. Because all of us are of different builds and colouring, we need different things to wear. Come on, that delayed us a little but I think we can do at least two more stores before we have to give in."

They left the store and tried to push their way further up the street. The next store was slightly smaller and they gratefully left the crowds and went in the front door. This one was quieter and exuded an air of quality.

"Where's this? Oh, Petacci."

Belle led the way through to the dresses and they began investigating the rails. Marion realised that although these were ostensibly just party wear like in the previous shop in fact the materials, designs and finish were somewhat superior. She selected three from the rail and showed them to Belle.

"What do you think?"

"Good choice, but these are going to be just as skimpy as those in Grainger's. Have you looked at other rails?"

"Some. These feel different, though. Better made, if you know what I mean."

"I do, but it also means they cost more. Let me take a look. Not that one, I think. The colour isn't quite right for you. Have they got that in other shades? What about that one there?"

"Yes, okay. What's that you've got, is that for me?"

"No, I thought I'd try this one myself. It might solve your changing-room problem as well."

"Good thinking."

The assistant minding the cubicles in this store had no objection to Marion and Belle sharing a cubicle and helping one another. Marion knew instantly Belle zipped her up that there was something different about the first dress she tried. It was sky blue satin with a very short straight skirt that came to ten centimetres above her knee. The sleeveless bodice had a sweetheart neckline that just enclosed her breasts. Two fine straps made sure everything stayed in place. The garment looked simple but had a very carefully constructed inner layer that made sure the dress kept it's shape and stayed put. It fit Marion like a glove.

"That is so different," she breathed. "It just belongs on my body."

She tried to see herself in the mirror but Belle blocked her view.

"If you could do me up." Marion hastily helped Belle to adjust her own dress, a darkish red bordering on purple which showed as much flesh as Marion's did. Then the two turned towards the mirror.

"If you buy that and wear it out," Belle murmured, "you'll blow everyone else away. That's amazing. Really, it's more or less the same as a couple you tried in Grainger's but the difference is huge. That's why you have to pay more in here, but I think it's going to be worth it. You're going to have that one, aren't you?"

"Definitely. I think you're going to have to sedate me to get it off me. It just fits so well, and I understand now what you meant about knowing when you find something that works for you."

Belle nodded. "But you can't wear that out of the building tonight, dearest. Why don't you at least try some of the others on?"

"Spoilsport. I have to say, your own dress looks stunning on you."

"Thank you, dearest. Although," Belle considered the way the material had been gathered asymmetrically at the waistline to make a feature, "this detail looks a bit..." She turned each way to judge what it would look like from different angles. "Oh, no, I see what they've done now. That's clever. It fits quite well, I think I'll take it." She turned to Marion.

"That's a point you have to consider, dearest. You're still developing, so that beautiful thing you have on now might not fit in six months. Do you want to spend that amount of money on it?"

"Yes," Marion replied without hesitation. "If I get six months of wear out of it, I'll easily have had my money's worth. Don't you think?"

Belle regarded her thoughtfully. "After knowing you all this time, you're still full of surprises. Very well, take it, but I still think you ought to try the other dresses as well."

Marion did try the other things, but although the fit and effect was what she expected none moved her quite like her first choice, so she only bought that one. Yes, Petacci's would be delighted to deliver the citizen's purchases to the Enclave, and was there anything else they might like to look at? Matching heels, for example? Marion thought that she would need to spend more time choosing shoes than was available that evening so regretfully declined, but Belle suggested looking at formal wear while they were there.

"I thought you didn't want to look at long dresses just yet?"

"I didn't, but there are shorter outfits which can also be considered formal wear. Suppose you got invited to a wedding, for instance, as a guest."

"You mean, like my dress and jacket suit?"

"Yes, that's right. Let's just see what's on offer. Actually, I suspect anything here will look beautiful and fit perfectly but cost a month's wages. For the amount of use we're likely to get from such an outfit it wouldn't be worth it. But there's no harm in looking, is there?"

What was on offer looked sumptuous and Marion had no qualms about examining the items available. Unfortunately the prices were alarming and they decided that for the wear they were likely to get, they could probably find something elsewhere that would better match their budgets. They made their way out of the store back onto the street.

"How many more are we going to do, Belle? My feet are swollen, my back is aching, and I'm getting extremely hungry."

"Just one more, I think. Glock's is just up there, beyond the next block, and it's on our way to the restaurant. Then you can take the weight off those feet." Belle gave an encouraging smile. "I forget, we hardened warrior types can go for days on a sip of water and a bit of bread-crust, but fragile flowers like you need something more substantial."

As they started walking along the street, a commotion could be heard behind them. A whistle sounded, then shouts, and they turned to see a young man running towards them, weaving in and out of the still substantial crowds. Belle pulled Marion out of the way as the man ran past. Shortly, two Enforcers trailed in pursuit followed by a dog which had presumably been released by it's handler.

"Why did you pull me out of the way? We could easily have stopped him between us."

"Truth. But then you probably wouldn't have gotten a meal before midnight. You know exactly what would have happened when the Enforcers found us standing over that man. Best to just stand aside and let them get on with their jobs."

"Yes. That could have been... unpleasant. Let's get to this next shop of yours."

Glock dealt in Occasions, which seemed to mainly consist of commitment ceremonies, although one of the upper floors supplied dress uniforms of all types. Since the clothes were more formal and less subject to the vagaries of fashion, Marion found it easier to browse the rails and imagine what the items on offer might look on her. She was still slightly puzzled by when she might need such an item, and queried Belle.

"I'm thinking mainly of dinner parties, that kind of thing. Also remember we're not the only couple who are thinking of tying the knot, we could easily get invited to one or two personal ceremonies in the near future. It's a useful item to have in your wardrobe. Not to mention," her voice lowered, "there's the odd funeral we might need to attend, so if you can find something dark it might help."

Marion found two dresses, one black and one dark green. Both had short sleeves and were a simple princess line, falling to just above the knee. With the black one she also bought a short sparkly wrap to liven it up should she wish to wear it to a less sombre event. This store couldn't deliver, so they carried the three bags back out onto Constitution Street.

By now the crowds were beginning, like themselves, to think of food so there were less people about. Belle led the way to the next intersection and turned down the side road. On either side were smaller shops, mostly closed at this hour, but a fair sprinkling of restaurants were still lit up and doing business. Belle headed for a small frontage with a single word sign over it: OLYMPUS.

"Service. You have a table reserved for two, the name is Marchand?"

"Service, citizens. Ah, yes, if you would come this way."

The premises was just wide enough for two rows of tables each side of the central passageway from the door. At this time of night the restaurant was busy but not yet full, some tables clearly reserved for customers wanting a meal after visiting the theatre or cinema. It seemed to Marion that the restaurant went back a long way, further than she had expected. They were shown to a table with two seats, handed large, heavy menus, and left in peace. Their bags went under the table, out of the way.

"Ooh, that's better," Marion said with a relieved sigh as she sat down. "Boy am I glad to get the weight off my feet. Do you think they would mind if I slipped my shoes off?"

"Feel free," replied Belle. "Mine are off already. That's probably the longest you've worn those, isn't it?"

"I think so. I hope I can get used to wearing shoes like these for a long period, I do like how they set off an outfit and it would be a shame not to have the option."

"A lot of women feel the same, dearest. We all have different strategies for coping. Just don't make it too obvious, that's all."

"Ah-h-h. That's better." Marion wriggled her freed toes under the table. "I just hope I can get the shoes back on when we leave. How are we going to get home? Not by train and tram, surely?"

"No, not this hour of the evening, it wouldn't be prudent. We'll ask the front desk to order us a taxi a few minutes before we're ready to go. It's what we usually do when we come here in the evenings."

Marion looked at the front of the menu. "Olympus? Greek food?"

"Originally, but not any more. They do have Greek items on the menu, but as you can see, there's cuisine from all over the world in here. I would suggest, especially this hour of night, that you look at the handwritten sheet tucked into the front flap. That's what will be hot and fresh tonight. If you order much else they would probably have to go out and steal it from somewhere else." Belle gave a quirky grin. "I jest, of course, but it would take so much longer that we - the girls that is - often think that's what they do."

"The girls, of course, this is where you come." Marion looked around. "I wouldn't have thought that this would be... appropriate, if you know what I'm getting at."

"It's not so bad. By the time we get here, usually, we've had enough of the bright spots and just want to get some good food inside of us. See the door right at the back? That's the kitchen. Either side is a semicircular booth, we usually reserve one of those. In front of those, on the left is the bar, on the right the rest rooms and cloak room."

"This building seems larger than it should," Marion observed.

"Yes, it goes behind the shops on either side. We get on with most of the staff here, and they know we're respectable, so they don't mind us enjoying ourselves at the back. They sometimes push tables together for other parties as well. Picked a starter yet?"

"I'll have one of each, I'm so hungry," Marion said. "Tell me about the main courses on offer."

"Ah, don't overdo the starters, although I know you're hungry. If you stuff too much you won't be able to fit into anything you've bought, and then where will you be? Don't worry, by the time we've finished there won't be many empty corners inside, I can assure you."

The two browsed the menu and selected their starters and main courses. Both decided on the vegetable soup to start, accompanied by a basket of garlic bread. Belle chose a grilled buffalo steak as a main course, with fries and trimmings together with a side salad while Marion had braised beefsteak with steamed vegetables. What Marion knew about wine could be written on the head of a pin, so Belle selected a decent quality red for them to share with their meals.

Talk ceased while they began packing away the food. After a while the pace slackened as their immediate needs were satisfied.

"I'm impressed how much you managed to find this evening," Belle commented as she refilled their wine glasses. "A few skirts, at least one party frock and maybe a formal dress was all I was expecting."

"I had a seasoned guide," Marion replied. "You ploughed a path through those shops almost like a man would. I think I would have been overwhelmed by the choices, left to my own devices. With you by my side, it was easier to focus on exactly what I needed. It's also made me realise that I'll be doing expeditions like this into my future, won't I?"

"Yes," Belle said. "Does that upset you?"

"Not as much as I expected. A few months ago, it probably would have, but things have moved on and I'm adjusting inside. As I said before, I'm accepting the necessity of such trips. What about you, Belle? What are your thoughts on impending motherhood?"

"The idea is as new to me as finding out you were a woman was you to," Belle admitted. "It's going to take a while for it to sink in. As Sophia said, everything is going to change, and I suspect neither of us has the faintest idea how much it will change. I must admit, there's a certain amount of trepidation there as well as anticipation," Belle smiled at Marion, "not to mention serious quantities of daydream fantasies. But it's all tempered with the knowledge that our lives have become extremely complicated at the moment, and I really don't think it's a good idea to bring a child into the middle of all this, do you?"

"Not just yet," Marion agreed. "I don't think either of us will want to put it off too long though, do you?"

"No. Not once we get the residency business sorted out." She made a face. "Assuming that ever happens, that is."

"What about leaving the facility? I guess you'll find that hard. Have you worked anywhere else at all, since you left the Army?"

Belle shook her head. "No, nowhere. The facility is like a second home to me."

"Me, too."

"It will be difficult losing all my friends. Living in the Enclave means there's a barrier to having your friends come to visit. I can go to them, sure, but it's always nice to be able to return the hospitality."

"I'm sure you won't lose them all," Marion said. "I expect that I'll still be working there, so they can keep in touch that way."

The waiter cleared their plates and brought the sweet menu. Belle wanted more fuel so chose a Knickerbocker Glory. Marion erred on the side of healthy eating with diced fresh fruit, but decided that double cream would be acceptable 'just this once'.

"Can you talk about what happened this afternoon with Proctor Julian, do you think?"

"Not really, not here," Marion said. Her eyes lit up. "But I can tell you, he offered Talya a job!"

"You're joking!"

"No, it seems there are back-room teams working for the Proctors and the regulations are different to ours, so he's suggested she think about doing that when her parole comes up. She was absolutely flabbergasted, she'd never thought of such a thing."

"That's amazing, and it shows that we often make assumptions that have no real basis at all."

"Yes," Marion said dryly, "the Justiciar at my trial certainly did that."

"Proves my point. And, do you realise, Talya would never have been offered something if you hadn't chosen to make her your assistant? So, your own part in this shouldn't be underestimated."

"Thank you, dear."

"It's funny," Belle mused, "it seems you're at the centre of things, aren't you? Ever since the good Proctor set his eyes on you, way back when you were a mere man, there have been ripples, disturbances, happenings out of the ordinary. Oh, a lot of things have happened to you, but you've also affected the lives of a considerable number of those around you as well, too many to mention by name." She smiled broadly at Marion. "I for one am glad that your path crossed mine."

"I hope," Marion murmured, "that our paths have joined, not crossed. I have no intention, ever, of losing the most precious thing that I found since I came to the facility."

Belle eyes moistened. "Darling, we're going to cause a scene if you carry on like that. Not that I want you to stop, of course."

Freshly ground coffee held back the tiredness that both were beginning to feel at the end of a long day. Marion insisted on splitting the bill evenly, and once that was completed they forced their feet back into their shoes and made their way out of the building to the waiting taxi, bags in hand. Certain of the cabbies were used to taking people back to the Enclave so there was no problem with their destination. They settled back into the seat for the long ride home.

*****

The cab dropped them beyond the concrete blocks protecting the Enclave, since at this hour the only way in for pedestrians was through the control post Marion had used on her initial visit. There were no complications, although the duty guard did have a look inside all their bags to make sure that the contents weren't going to be used for anything illegal. The two women walked across to Block Four, both by this time beginning to wilt.

"Service, Citizen Marchand, Citizen Hillier."

"Arthur? Service. What are you doing up this late?"

"Waiting for you. I have a room full of parcels, bags, waiting for you. I see you had a successful evening's shopping."

"All our packages have arrived? That's wonderful."

"Ah, I don't know if everything has come that you wished delivered, since I don't know what you bought, of course. I'll help you to carry what's here up to your apartment." He got out a bunch of keys and led the way to a store-room beside his office. "Oh, and there was a young woman wanted to get in touch with you." He frowned as he tried to remember her name. "One of those who visited you last week-end with those two young girls. The nanny, I think."

"You mean Jane Sievert? She came over here? Did she leave any message?"

"She didn't. I explained that you had told me that the two of you had arranged to go shopping in New Town this evening and had expected to be back late, and she said that it could wait until tomorrow." He considered. "I may have misunderstood, but she seemed rather excited. Does that mean anything?"

Belle and Marion both managed to present blank faces to Arthur as they shook their heads.

"No, I've no idea," Belle said. "Perhaps it was something to do with our plans for the week-end. We seem to have been roped in to accompanying the girls into the park every week-end," she explained. "The Mattesons have lived in Block Nine for some months, but they hadn't taken the opportunity to explore. Now we've become acquainted, I expect we'll be back and forth to their apartment, and I expect Jane, the nanny, will come over sometimes as well."

"I liked those girls," Arthur said as he handed out the bags, "I like these blocks better when there are children about." Belle looked at Marion. Did he know, somehow? Probably not. Probably just a sentiment. Belle remembered what it was like when she was growing up, when there were dozens of children living in the Enclave, and remembered the fun they had all had.

Arthur put down the bags in their living room and straightened. "There you are. I'll leave you in peace now, it's getting late. Good night, citizens." He closed the apartment door behind him.

"Do you think Jane hit pay dirt?" Marion said as they kicked their shoes off. "Sounded promising in any case."

"Don't know, don't care," Belle replied, yawning. "Let's forget all this and just fall into bed. Don't forget we've still got to work tomorrow, although most people will give us a little slack as they'll know where we've been. Come on, I can barely put one foot in front of the other."