Menu Load Error

- Text Size +

Tragedy Of The Spirit-Revised
Chapter 31 The Trial Episode 2
By PrairieGirl64
Edited By Stanman63, Proofed By JennFl and Nora Adrienne


The day arrived of which I dreaded the most. The announcement of the trial, I was nervous as well as relieved at the same time. I was wondering what would the verdict be, to what in the hell should I wear when I go. I thought of myself as a woman, and still do. The fact that I was born with a penis instead of a vagina, did not faze me in the least. True, I had seen Jenn a few times, so I know what the difference between a man and a woman is, but I was NEVER jealous of her vagina. To me, it was simply more evidence that my life was hell on Earth.

All the parities gathered in a fairly large, ornate court room of colonial architecture design. The ornate columns and lights were majestic. It looked more as if it was meant for a ball room, or some place in a palace, or cathedral than a court room. The center of the room was where the judge would sit high. The jury box was to the left and the defense table was below that. The crowns table was to the right of the judge's desk at old oak tables.

Tuesday was the start of the trial. This thing took almost 29 months to get to this point. I had already undergone my stint in hospital and most of my rehabilitation. But, I still had some time to undergo to be cleared. I had made a lot of progress on the physical side. Mentally, that was a different issue altogether. You see, I daydreamed that the asshole would die. I wished he would be put to death. THAT would be justice to me. He tortured me in life and now in my daydreams as well. I so wanted him dead. If we had the death penalty here I would have been so glad to have pulled the handle on the noose.

I spent almost 15 months in ICU, then in a regular room and then a significant amount of time in rehab and I was not completely done, yet. Oh, I wanted to get out of there and quick. All the time I was in the hospital and rehab the son of a bitch was trying to plea bargain down to aggravated assault. He actually was pleading not guilty for damn near killing me.

If I could have, I would have switched bodies with that asshole! Let HIM suffer instead of ME!

I knew he had a laundry list of other charges against him. Some of these were; DUI, Assault on a police officer. Assault on a bar patron, reckless driving, undo care and attention. Along with this were the ones he had been charged with on me; Assault, attempted murder, causing bodily harm as well as rape. This asshole really fucked up me life and he was really going to fuck it up even more with his insane attempts to get off. Let me just say that I was absolutely pissed off and leave it at that.

At 9:3:A.M. on that Tuesday, it began. The courtroom was basically quiet, even though there were the usual people there. The bailiff, the court stenographer, and the jury members (12.... 8 men and 4 women). I felt as if it was stacked against me. There were a few others in the court room as well. A few people I recognized from the rehab and hospital, and Jenn and Melanie, too. That was a comfort too me that they were there.

The Bailiff told us all to rise and we did. He announced the Judge, the Honorable Judge Williams. Judge Williams was a tall statuesque gentleman; He stood well over 6 feet and had graying black hair and brown eyes. He did not look fat at all. In fact I thought he looked very fit under his robe. He had bifocal glasses attached to a cord around his neck. Angela sat with me at the Crowns Desk and of course Mr. McVeigh and Jason were across the aisle. I never looked at him and I did know that he was looking at me. His furtive glances were not unseen by those in the room.

I did make it to the trial and I was determined to stick it out. I was in a wheelchair, still heavily bandaged and bruised. The nurses were there for my benefit. All of this support for me was not lost on the Judge, or the jury. And I could see that Jason and his asshole attorney were taking my support into account as well.

The trial was to last 4 months, somewhat long by my tastes. However, Jason had a lot to answer for. They would deal with the most serious of the charges against him first. Those against me were the most serious. I absolutely felt ill sitting near that prick. If I had my way I would have loved to have castrated him. I kept thinking that he will get his and be a bitch in jail. And that placed a smile on my face and a slight giggle.

I had heard about what happened in prison to such pretty boys as Jason was, and how some convicts would rape the newbie's and keeps a weak one as their personal bitch to rape and as their slave. While Jason might not stay a jailhouse whore, his stay would at least give him an idea of what he put me through, and possibly contract some disease from unprotected sex.

Judge Williams asked for opening statements upon which Mr. McVeigh stood and began his remarks.

McVeigh: 'Thank you, your honor. My client as you see him sitting to my left is an innocent individual. The charges before the court are absolutely fabricated. The real victim here is Jason. He was unwillingly duped by the alleged victim in this situation. Jason, who is an upstanding member of his family and has not, posed any issues in the past. He was knowingly blindsided and duped by Melissa. Jason believes he was upset by the way he was duped and lied to by her and he had every right to respond to the lies and deception perpetrated by Melissa. We shall show with reasonable doubt that Jason is innocent of all these charges against him. Jason has been wronged and the evidence shall support our claims as such. The evidence is clear your honor that with the testimony of the witnesses we have my client will be found not guilty and this whole matter will be closed"

I kept my cool while that idiot defense lawyer painted Jason as a model citizen. Inside I was fuming; I was ready to explode on the asshole. Inside I was crying for justice to be done. Was I going to be able to take this all over again? I really doubted my presence there in this court room, now. Was this a huge mistake? Was this what I wanted? I knew damn well that it was right and I had made it so far without too much difficulty. I knew that I had to have some justice. I wanted too make sure that Jason saw me, the injuries he had caused. Innocent my ass. There was no way he was innocent. There was way too much stacked against him. He was not going to get off that lightly. I thought so at that time anyhow.

Angela then stood and addressed the court.

Angela: "Thanks your Honor. What the evidence will show is a definitive proof that the defendant (Jason) knew unequivocally who my client is and that the heinous act placed upon her was unjust. The evidence will also show this act was barbaric in nature; the scars will linger and remain for many years. We will also show the photo's of the victim here and how this has had a detrimental impact on her care and possible future. We will also prove with a certainty that Jason knew who he was with. This was mentioned by statements made after her beatings and also included in statements from Jason himself. This is a crime of unspeakable brutality and hatred for another human being. We have witnesses your honor that will showcase Jason's involvement with Melissa dating back a few years. We will also show that the real victim here is Melissa and that she should be free from the problems of which Jason has caused her. We will introduce evidence that will shed
light on an extraordinary woman who beat all odds and managed to set herself on the right path. The evidence will also prove that Jason maliciously set about to hurt Melissa that night in October 1992. "

I felt somewhat relieved that Angela was on my side here. Inside I was sick that Jason had a chance of getting away with what he did too me. Was there justice? I knew one thing for sure and certain, it was that I was about to find out. I began to feel really tired, and after sitting listening through the opening statements I was lead out of the courtroom and back to my room at the rehab center. I was not present during the rest of the opening evidence for the rest of the week as I had ongoing treatments.

Angela stopped by on the following Friday after 5:P.M... When I had returned to my room after a go in the parallel bars, you see, they were trying to get me back walking. She greeted me with a slight hug. She told me," McVeigh had brought in to discredit me and made Jason the innocent one in all this."

I asked her, "Does that mean that I have to appear and give my side of the story?"

Angela said, "No, not necessarily, if it does, it will come later. McVeigh has to defend his client and will introduce all his evidence. We will have that opportunity later."

I was as naive as to the court system here, sheesh. I was so dumb. Street Smart justice I could understand all to well. Someone wronged you on the street, simple justice, beat the hell out of them and move on. There were no judges or juries nor lawyers involved. You saw something wrong; you took action, end of discussion. I had to put my faith in Angela's ability to defend me and make that asshole pay. I can look back at this experience and honestly say that justice was never dealt the way it should have been dealt.

I never made it for the next few weeks of the trial as I was literally laid up with pneumonia. I kept in contact with Angela with phone calls. The defense was sure laying all the blame on me and my actions. I was degraded and humiliated as well as belittled in court and I was not even there to defend myself. I sank into a minor depression yet again and Sheila was called to guide me through that mess again.

Jenn and Melanie stopped by every other night after court and filled me in on the day's happenings. I told them I wish I was there. They told me not too worry, things were going to work out. But I had serious doubts. Being a street wise kid gives you an edge and a feeling. I felt that justice would never be served. I was pissed off, yes, you better believe it.

As I look back even now, it still angers me and pisses me off. The edge I guess would be when I was called to the stand in three weeks. McVeigh still had to present a few more witnesses and those included Jenn and Melanie. I vowed to be at the trial again comes hell or high water. I was sickened by McVeigh's attitude and complete ignorance towards me. I guess now I understand it. I knew he had to do his job, I felt he went way overboard with his depiction of me.

I sure can say that things were quite interesting during those four months of the trial. Justice or No Justice, I really felt that there was going to be a split here and I was going to have to play it out and see what transpired. I was angry and wished I had died that night then I would not have had to deal with this long hard road of rehabilitation and recovery and then again, I am glad I was.