Menu Load Error

- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

stories/222/images/SLC_Title.jpg

 

Time flies when you're having fun, if you’re in trouble, or if you're trying to solve a mystery.

What do you mean MY graduation?  By the way, can I take this handsome guy home with me?

  

I would like to thank my dear friends,

 Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W. and Holly H Hart.

for their kindness, help, support and input.


 Raised in SLC

Chapter 7

 

By Penny Reed Cardon

 

 

Tuesday was as close to being normal a day as I’ve seen for … Gee wiz, had it really only one week, it sure seems like it had been a lot longer.  My morning voice lesson with Miss Baker went very well, after that Beca and I went to lunch.  This is the first time that Beca let me select my own lunch since becoming my big sister.  Both the main choices were tempting.  I’ve always liked to try new things, so I selected the New Orleans style seafood gumbo.  It came with fresh bread sticks and a small salad.  After getting my lunch, I’d started walking towards the small dining room that Beca and I had been using.  “Hey Matilda, just where do you think you’re going?” Beca asked.

 

“I'm just going to our little dining room,” I said.

 

“No, no,” Beca said.  “We only use that dining room when someone is in training; you know trying to become passable.  Most people feel embarrassed by using those small utensils.  We don't want to embarrass anyone; we're here to help and teach.  You've completed that training, so we’ll eat at my usual table from now on.”

 

“Hello girls,” I said as we arrived at the table.  I let Beca set down her tray first so I’d know where I should sit.

 

“Matilda, you’re Beca’s special project?” Angel asked.

 

“What do you mean by 'special project'?” I asked.

 

“Well, Beca wasn't here for lunch on Thursday, Friday, or yesterday.  When we asked her why, all she’d tell us is that she was working on a special project,” answered Kate

 

I looked at Beca.  “So now I’m a special project?” I asked.

 

“Well, yes,” Beca answered.  “I mean, you aren’t actually a student here.  After all, I’m the one who went to Ellen and asked to be your big sister.  It’s not like there is extra credit for helping or anything like that.  It’s just my way of saying, I think you're special and I wanted to help you if I could.  The only thing I'm getting out of this is one - another friend, and two - the enjoyment of helping someone become what they want to be.”

 

“Thanks Beca, I’ve come to realize just how special you are as well,” I said while leaning in her direction.

 

“Easy there Matilda, I know how fond you are of hugging, but this is neither the time nor the place,” Beca said. 

 

“What, you girls don’t hug?” I asked.

 

“Oh sure we do,” Beca said.   “We just don’t get as carried away with it as someone who’s only six days old.”

 

“Beca, what do you mean only six days old?” asked Kimberly.

 

“Well, to be honest with all of you,” I said with a shy smile.  “This is only the sixth day that I’ve been dressed and out of the house as Matilda.”

 

 “You mean that last Wednesday was . . .” Kate started, the look on her face told the rest of what she was going to say, she was stunned.

 

“Was only my second day out,” I said with a smile.  “We refer to last Tuesday as ‘Matilda’s Birthday’.  That was the first time I was ever fully dressed as a girl.”

 

“But I thought that it was Rachael that was transgendered?” Frank said.

 

“Sorry about that Frank,” I said with a little more confidence.  “After everyone told us about this school, Rachael and I switch rolls, well sort of.  She tried to act like a scared little boy and I tried to be more confident in myself.  According to Ellen, we fooled two of you.  I guess you were one of them, Frank.  I want to thank you, all of you.  I was more than just a little scared when Ellen separated Rachael and me from our Mom, but all of you were so kind.  You all made us both feel right at home, just like one of the girls.  I hadn't felt that good since I was in Kindergarten with my friends.”

 

“So let me get this straight, you’ve only been dressing full time since last Tuesday?” asked Kate.

 

“Well actually I can’t dress full time,” I answered.  “I can only be Matilda when my Dad is at work.  He doesn’t know about me.  Dad’s an ex-marine and Mom thinks it will take several months of talking to get him ready to accept me.  My older sister, Karen, thinks that Mom should get herself a 50 caliber machinegun.”

 

Every one chuckled at that one.  I’m sure some of them could relate to my situation.

 

“Matilda, I don’t know how your Dad's going to react, but I can tell you that I’m jealous,” complained Angel.

 

“Yea, me too,” said Kimberly.

 

“You're jealous, of what, me?” I asked.

 

“You bet I’m jealous of you, it took me four months to look and sound as good as you do,” said Kimberly.

 

“It was about five months before I had anywhere near that kind of confidence in myself,” added Angel

 

“So how come you look and act so natural if you’ve only been dressing for six days?” asked Frank.

 

“Stop right there Matilda.  You can't start telling them your story right now,” said Beca abruptly.  “Sorry girls, but I heard part of her story from Ellen.  It seems that when Matilda starts talking about when she started dressing and how she came to the realization that she should be a girl, she goes into some kind of trance and talks for about an hour without stopping.  I’m sorry but we just don’t have that kind of time right now; we’ve all got classes, and need to get going.  Maybe we can have her tell us her story another day.”

 

“Ok Beca, no long story,” I said with a little giggle.  “Let’s just say I’ve always felt like a girl.  All of my friends are girls; we talked together, we played together, we grew up together, we've just naturally act like each other.”

 

“So I guess that brings up the question we asked last Wednesday, why are you here?” asked Kate.

 

“Well, my psychiatrist, Jill Morgan, knows Ellen,” I told them.  “You see I’ve been invited to a birthday party as Matilda.  Jill told my Mother that Ellen could help me learn to pass as a girl.  We really had no idea what was going to happen when Mom first contacted Ellen.  The chain of events that has followed that first meeting are far too numerous to mention.  I’m not entirely sure what is going to happen from this time forward, but whatever happens I know that I’ll face the future as Matilda, not the timid little boy that I once was.”

 

“Well I don’t know what you were like before you came here,” said Lizy.  “But you have certainly changed from what you were last week.  You're much more open, not only with us but also apparently with yourself.  It’s like you're a whole different person.”

 

“You really think I've really changed that much?” I asked, almost surprised.  “I did have some things happen last Saturday that I guess did change my life.  The way Mom describes it; I broke through some mental barriers that were stopping me from growing.  She doesn't think that anything will be able to stop me from becoming who I need to be.”

 

“Well I obviously don’t know what may have happened,” Lizy said.  “But from our conversation last Wednesday and now, you're differently a different person.  Last Wednesday I'd have said that you were about eight years old, but from our conversation today I’d guess that you were maybe fourteen.  Granted a small fourteen, but from your communication skills, I’d say about fourteen.”

 

“Thank you very much Lizy.  My teachers at school wanted to advance me a year or two, but Mom wouldn’t let them.  I guess now they’ll have to move me up a grade or two.  There’s no way I’ll be content to stay in the fourth grade when I know I’m capable of doing so much more.  As for being small, maybe I should carry around the dictionary that Beca had me walking with.  I could use it as a booster seat," I said with a giggle.

 

"Beca," exclaimed Kate.  "You didn't make her walk with that huge dictionary on her head, did you?  That thing's so big, putting that much weight on her head will stunt her growth."

 

"Oh come on Kate, it's not that big," Beca exclaimed defending her actions.

 

"Not that big! In LA, I've seen bag ladies living in boxes smaller than that dictionary.  That thing will put enough pressure on her spine to cause back problems for the rest of her life," Kate stated.

 

"Kate, you've got to be joking," Beca said.

 

"Of course I’m joking Beca," said Kate laughingly.  "'But you should have seen the look on your face, it was priceless."

 

We all laughed at how well Kate had kept us all wound up right to the end.

 

“Well that's enough of that, as much as we are learning about each other,” said Beca.  “We’re all late for class now.  If you hadn’t noticed we are the only ones left in the cafeteria.”

 

“Oh dear I’m sorry, I didn't realize I'd been talking so long,” I said as we quickly took our dishes and trays back to the kitchen.

 

“That’s okay; it’s not your fault Matilda.  We were all talking, none of us were paying attention to the time,” said Frank.

 

“Besides, it was really very interesting getting to know you better.  We also don't get a chance to tease Beca very often,” said Kate.  They all chuckled and nodded in agreement.

 

“Thank you all, I really enjoyed it as well.  I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” I said as they left.  “Beca I hope none of them get into any trouble because of me.”

 

“Oh they won’t,” Beca said.  “Student relations are one of the top priorities around here.  There will never be a problem of being late for a class if you were helping another student with a problem.”

 

“But I’m not really a student.”

 

“That’s okay Matilda; you’ve been here long enough to have a reputation with most of the staff.  Everyone here thinks of you as a student.”

 

“Beca, that's crazy.  I've only been here four days, and I’m only going to be here three more days.”

 

“Never try to out guess tomorrow Matilda.  You’ll lose every time,” Beca said with a giggle.

 

“Okay, okay.  What’s on my schedule for this afternoon big sister?”

 

“This afternoon and for the rest of the week you will be working with Miss Adams.”

 

“But I thought I only had to see her once!” I said nervously.

 

“Hey relax Matilda.  Miss Adams covers all areas of physical appearance and presentation.  Giving you instructions on tucking is a minor part of her role.  I’ve taught you the basics of walking like a girl, Miss Adams will expand on that as well as sitting and many other areas of what it means to present yourself as a proper young lady.”

 

“Thanks for explaining that to me Beca.  You know that I’m still nervous about being undressed around most people."  I took a deep breath and I was ready.  "Okay I’m ready, lead on sis.”

 

Beca led me to a large room on the third floor of the administration building, and I do mean a large room.  It looked like a ballroom, with between thirty to forty chairs, in many different styles, positioned at different intervals around the walls.  Miss Adams was behind a desk just inside the door.  Against the wall, behind her was a table with lots of different shoes.

 

“Hello girls, I was beginning to wonder what was keeping you.  Good afternoon Matilda, it’s very nice to see you again,” Miss Adams said as she rose to greet us.

 

“Hello Miss Adams.  I guess that we are late because of me.  The other girls were asking me questions and I guess we all lost track of the time.  We all learned a lot about each other,” I said

 

“That’s not a problem Matilda, I’m somewhat flexible, but we do need to get started.”

 

“Certainly, what would you like me to do?” I asked with a smile.  Beca took a seat on one of the nearby chairs and neatly folded her hands in her lap.

 

“Matilda, have you ever worn shoes with heels?”

 

“Not really, just sneakers and these Mary Jane’s.  Oh wait, there was the shoes we borrowed from Amanda Reynolds; they had about an inch and a half heel on them.  I wore them Tuesday afternoon and then around here on Wednesday of last week.”

 

“How were they to walk in?” Miss Adams asked.

 

“Well they did take some getting used to on Tuesday, but I didn’t have any trouble on Wednesday.”

 

"And Wednesday after you got home, how did your feet feel?"

 

"They were fine, walking without the heels did feel a little funny, after I took them off."

 

“Very well, I think we should start today with a two inch heel and see how you do with those.  By Friday, we should have you walking comfortable in a three-inch heel.  A young lady below the age of sixteen shouldn’t be wearing shoes with more than a three inch heel.”

 

Miss Adams reached behind her and selected a pair of shoes with a two-inch heel.  “Please change into these shoes and we’ll get started.”

 

I spent the afternoon walking back and forth across the room, from one chair to another where I’d sit gracefully, keeping my knees together, tucking one foot behind the other.  I’d then rise and cross to a different style of chair.  Some were shorter, some taller, some padded lightly and some were overstuffed.  Each style of chair held its own challenge in maintaining, as Miss Adams put it ‘A Proper and Dignified Appearance’.  By 2:00, I was ready to call it quits and go home, my feet and ankles hurt and I would have preferred to go back to my room bare foot.  Miss Adams obviously knew what all that walking in heels that I wasn’t accustomed to would do and how my feet would feel.  To my surprise, she pulled a pair of pink fuzzy slippers out of her desk drawer for me.

 

“Here Matilda, wear these back to your room.  I’m guessing that you came to the school in your sneakers today?” she asked.

 

“Yes, Miss Adams.”

 

“Those will be fine for your drive home.  When you get home, I don’t want you to wear anything on your feet except slippers for the rest of the day.  Your feet and ankles need time to rest, all right dear?”

 

“Yes Miss Adams, I understand.  I do have a pair of comfortable slippers that I can wear.  And Miss Adams, thank you for your help and concern.”

 

“You’re welcome Matilda.  I’ll see you tomorrow dear.”

 

“See Matilda?  Miss Adams really is a very kind and understanding person,” Beca said as we walked back to my room.

 

“You’re right, I should know by now not to judge people based on first impressions.”

 

As I began changing my clothes, I re-started my analysis of this school.  'After all, how could it be that just any pair of shoes Miss Adams picked up would fit me perfectly?  You can't say that, they have shoes for the average ten year old because I'm not your average ten year old.  As far as sizes go, I'm barely average for an eight year old, so everything here that fits me they've had to custom order.  Now of course the next question is why would they go to all this trouble and expense for someone that's only going to be here seven day's?  It just doesn't make sense; it's like everything else around here, strange and mysterious.  Each day I keep adding more pieces to the puzzle, the problem is that the puzzle is growing in size faster than I'm collecting pieces.  There's one thing that I'm sure of, there's more going on here than meets the eye.  It just doesn't add up to being just a school, the security, the remote location, Beca raving about the computer systems, but I can't even get near a computer to try it out.  Oh well, I have a few more days to see what I can figure out.'

 

After I'd changed, Beca took me to Mom's office so we could go home and I could rest my tired feet.

 

Wednesday was almost identical to Tuesday, the only thing different occurred at lunch.  When Beca and I arrived at our table, Kimberley and Angel weren't there.  In their places were two attractive young men.

 

"Hello Matilda, it's nice to see you again," one of them said.

 

"Hi Matilda, how was your voice lesson today?" asked the other.

 

"Hello," I replied politely.  "Uh Beca, I'm a little confused, who are these young men, how do they know me and where are Kimberley and Angel today?" I asked quietly.

 

"Oh Kimberley and Angel aren't here today," Beca replied with a giggle.  "I'd like to introduce you to some friends of ours.  Matilda this is Nicholas, we call him Nicky."  Pointing to the young man seated where Angel had been the day before.  "And this is Jonathan," she said indicating the young man sitting in Kimberly's place.

 

I thought for second, and then asked "No nickname?"

 

"No, I like my name just the way it is," replied Jonathan.

 

It took me barely half a second to work things out in my mind.  I turned to Jonathan "You're Kimberley!" I said.

 

"I told you she was smart and quick too," said Beca while shaking her head and giggling.

 

"What gave it away?" Jonathan asked.

 

"The name," I said.  "Well, not the name itself, but rather the way you said you didn't need a nickname.  I'll make a stab in the dark and guess that Nicholas is Angel's male half?"

 

"I guess you're right Beca, were not going to sneak anything past Matilda," said Nicky.

 

"Sorry about that," I said.  "But before I started school my Mom read to me almost every afternoon.  My favorites were the ‘Sherlock Holms’ mysteries.  I guess my mind kind of developed along those lines, nobody can keep a mystery from me for long."

 

"So do you write mysteries as well?" asked Nicky.

 

"You know, I’ve never tried writing mysteries, that might be kind of fun. I’ll have to think about that, but right now no, I just solve them.  I guess that's why I'm also good with computers and security systems; I look at them as just another mystery to solve.  Speaking of mysteries, why are you two dressed as young men today?"

 

“We thought we’d introduce you to the boys we once were,” said Jonathan.

 

“Also, sometimes there are advantages to appearing male,” said Nicky.

 

“Like what?” I asked.

 

“Well . . . When the school goes to a concert the line to use the women’s restroom is usually very long, while the line for the men’s is usually short,” said Jonathan.

 

“That hardly seems like a good reason to appear as someone you’re not,” I said.  I was somewhat puzzled by the pathetic reason given.

 

“Well there is also the ball-room dance class.  Two people appearing to be the same gender, dancing together is still considered to be inappropriate in most social gatherings,” said Nicky.

“Then there are also the field trips, if you and your study partner . . .” Kate started to say.

 

“Well girls I think that’s enough on that subject,” Beca said interrupting Kate.  “We don’t want to be late for class again.”

 

After the other girls, and boys, had left, I couldn’t help myself, “Beca, why did you cut of Kate that way?  I’m just trying to understand why someone who knows that they are truly female would want to appear to be male. “

 

“Matilda, do you remember what I said Monday about asking too many questions?” Beca asked.

 

“Yes, I remember.”

 

“Well this is one of those times.  Too much information can be dangerous, not necessarily to you but to others as well.”

 

“I’m sorry Beca; I guess I was out of line.”

 

“No Matilda, you're not out of line.  You’re just so intent on collecting information to solve what you see as a mystery, to the extent that you’re overlooking, what could be, other possible dangers.”

 

“You know Beca, you’re not really helping.  The lack of information that you keep giving me is almost more information than I’ve been getting from the others,” I said.  I couldn’t help but chuckle and smile from ear to ear.

 

“All right Matilda enough of that.  Let’s get you to class, Miss Adams is waiting.”

 

“Very well Beca,” I answered with a giggle.

 

With that, we hurried off to the ballroom where Miss Adams was indeed waiting.  I spent the afternoon the same as I had the day before, walking back and forth from one chair to another while, wearing shoes with two-inch heels.  Miss Adams told me that on Thursday and Friday I’d be wearing the three-inch heels.

 

Thursday was pretty much the same as Wednesday.  Nicky and Jonathan again joined us for lunch; the conversation was pleasant and cheerful, but held no new information.  My afternoon class with Miss Adams went pretty much the same as the day before.  I was wearing the three-inch heels.  Near the end of class, Miss Adams put on some music.  She explained that it was time to learn how to dance as a young lady, not any of the silly shaking and wiggling that most of the young people do today.  I’m to learn real dancing, ballroom dancing.  I spent the last hour with Miss Adams teaching me how to waltz. 

 

As Beca and I were going back to my room, her PDA beeped.

 

“Ellen wants to see you after you’ve changed,” Beca said, reading the message on the screen.

 

“Any idea what it’s about?” I asked.

 

“It doesn’t say, just that she wants to see you.  You haven’t been playing on any of the school’s computers have you?” Beca asked jokingly

 

“What, me on the school’s computers? I’m just a silly little girl.  Besides when would I have had the time to be playing around on one of the schools computers?  The only time I’d been alone was when you were in the bathroom this morning, while I was changing.”

 

“Wait a second, I wasn’t in the bathroom while you were changing this morning,” Beca said.  “Come to think of it; you’ve never been alone.”

 

“No I haven’t, but I did have you going for a second, didn’t I?”

 

“What am I going to do with you,” Beca said, playfully slapping at my shoulder.

 

“Well, I guess you’ll just have to chase after me,” I said.  I dashed out of her reach and raced back to my room.  Beca was hot on my tail the entire time.  We were laughing so hard when we got to my room we both collapsed, me on the bed and Beca on the sofa.

 

“Hey sis, if you wanted a class in physical education you should have said so,” Beca said after she caught her breath.

 

“Why would I want to be in a physical education class?  What do you think, that I enjoy having bigger kids teasing me and picking on me because I’m so small?  No thank you.”

 

“Matilda, that sort of thing doesn’t happen here.  Has anyone here at the Manor teased you or made you feel bad, with the exception of Miss Adams last Thursday.”

 

“Well actually, no Beca.  Everyone has been very nice.  I keep forgetting how different things are here; compared to the school I’m used to.”

 

After I changed, Beca and I went over to Ellen’s office.  We knocked and Ellen invited us in.

 

“Good afternoon girls,” Ellen said

 

“Hello Ellen, what may I do for you?” I asked.

 

“Oh, I just wanted to tell you that Mary Beth has taken the test.  You can see her any time you want,” Ellen said.  “But please don’t discuss the test with her.  She has only taken the first of the two, where you took both tests at once.  I still need to do some research and possibly have her take the second.  After a lot more research and evaluation by the others, we may come up with a third test for you to take Matilda.”

 

“Thanks Ellen, that’s just what I needed to hear … more tests,” I said sarcastically.  “Anyway I know that Mary Beth will be delighted to see me again, she’s been calling each day, and after all, her party is Saturday.  It would have been a huge waste of time for me to go through all of this and then not be able to go to her party.”

 

“Well you have a good time Saturday dear, and remember anything to do with the Manor is a forbidden subject.”

 

“I’ll remember,” I promised.

 

Well, Friday morning has arrived; the sunrise was as beautiful as any I’d seen.  This will be my last day at the Manor, I can’t believe it, I’m actually sad that my time there will be ending so soon.  I’ve made so many new friends and I’ll miss them all so much.

 

Mom noticed that I was sad, “Matilda, what’s the matter dear?”

 

“I’m just a little sad this morning, Mom.  This will be my last day at the Manor and I’m going to miss being with Beca and the other girls.  I know that I’ve only been there a little while, but in that short time we’ve become very good friends.”

 

"I know dear, change is hard sometimes.  You've experienced more change, in your life, in the last two weeks than most people experience in twenty years.  You wait and see dear, everything will turn out bright and cheerful.”

 

“Thanks mom, I’m not sure how bright and cheerful the future will be, but at least today and tomorrow Matilda is going to enjoy herself.”

 

Beca met us as we arrived at the administration building and escorted me to my room. 

 

'My room; isn't it odd how we form attachments to objects and things.  I've only been here seven days and I've referred to it as my room since the second day, even though I knew I'd only be here for seven days.  I've come to think of this school as home; it's the only place I've really been free to be myself.  In these short seven days, I've come to know and love everything and everyone here at Immigration Manor.  I'm going to miss them all so much.' 

 

As we arrived at my room and we went inside, I paused to look around.  I wanted to take a mental picture, recording in my mind every detail.  I was also remembering the first time I entered this room with Beca and Miss Adams.  I know it was only a week ago, but right now, it seems like a lifetime ago.

 

"Matilda, what's wrong?" Beca gently asked, putting an arm around me.

 

I couldn't stop a few tears from escaping the corners of my eyes and running down my cheeks.  "I'm just going to miss you and this school so much.  It feels like I've spent my entire life here."

 

"Well, considering that you're only eleven days old.  That is, Matilda is eleven days old and you've spent eight of those eleven day's here.  I guess you could say that you've spent you're entire life here," Beca replied with a smile.

 

After she hugged me for a few seconds she continued, "Come now Matilda, that's enough tears for this morning.  Dry those eyes and get changed, Miss Baker is waiting."

 

"You're right Beca, I've still got today and I going to make the most of it," I said smiling back.

 

"That's the right attitude Matilda.  Make the most of today, for tomorrow may never come at all."

 

"What? Where did that come from?"

 

"Oh, just something I heard once," Beca giggled, "Probably from an old movie or something.  It sounded good at the time."

 

"Beca, you do know you’re a little crazy sometimes?  I still think you're very special though."  With that, I gave Beca a hug, and then quickly changed and we were off to see Miss Baker.

 

"Good morning Miss Baker," I said as we entered the small classroom.

 

"Good morning Matilda, Beca, I'm pleased to see you both this morning," replied Miss Baker.

 

"Matilda," Beca started.  "I'm going to say goodbye to you now."

 

"What!  What are you saying," I sputtered as I spun around, grabbing Beca's arm.

 

"Relax sis," Beca said after taking me into her arms.  "I've got something going on this afternoon that I need to get ready for.  I don't think I'll be seeing you again today, so I'll say goodbye, good luck and may god bless you, now and in whatever is yet to come in your life."

 

"But Beca you can't just up and leave like this.  You're my big sister.  You're supposed to escort me," I cried out as I pulled back so I could look into Beca's eyes.

 

"It's all right, I've arranged for another escort.  Lizy should be here shortly and she'll help you get ready for this afternoons activities.  As for being your big sister, you're progressed beyond the point of needing a big sister Matilda.  I want you to know that it has been an honor and a privilege for me, helping you and being your big sister," Beca said as she pulled me close and hugged me tight.  Then she placed one hand on each side of my head and kissed my forehead. 

 

"Good luck sis," she said.  Then she turned and left before I had a chance to say a word.

 

"But she can't just disappear like that," I thought aloud, as I started to softly cry.

 

I felt someone's arms around me; it was Miss Baker of course.

 

"It's all right Matilda," Miss Baker said as she held me.  "Beca has to get ready for a graduation this afternoon.  She has a lot to do in a very short amount of time.

 

It didn't take me long to stop crying, then I turned to look at Miss Baker.

 

"What do you mean, 'A Graduation'?  Who's graduation?" I asked.

 

"Don't worry about that right now Matilda.  Right now I want you to listen to what I'm about to tell you."

 

"I'm sorry Miss Baker," I said as I dried my eyes and taking my usual seat.  "What is it you'd like me to do today?"

 

"Matilda for the last five day's I've been teaching you to speak with passion, with feeling, and with emotion.  Now I'm going to teach you something about life, people, and the people in your life.”

 

“You’re going to teach me, about the people in my life?” I questioned

 

“Matilda, people come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.  When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person.

 

“When someone is in your life for a REASON, it’s usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.

 

“They may seem like a Godsend and they are. They are here for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to end the relationship. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What you must realize is that your need has been met, your desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayers you sent up have been answered and now it is time, for both of you, to move on.

 

“Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never known or done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it; it’s real, but only, for a season.

 

“LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life. It’s said that love is blind, but friendship is clairvoyant.

 

"So Matilda, don't be sad or unhappy when someone, who you’ve come to love or who has made an impact in your life, suddenly moves on.  They've helped you learn what you needed from them and now they’re needed elsewhere.  What you’ve learned will remain a part of you forever.  It's now up to you to determine how to share what you've learned with others.  Matilda, if you remember nothing else from me, I want you to remember this one lesson. There's no greater joy to be found in this life, than the joy we receive when we are helping others.  Sometimes it may be a large monumental task and sometimes it may be as simple as smiling and saying 'hello' to someone we pass on the street."

 

"Thank you Miss Baker.  Believe me I'll remember everyone and everything I've learned here.  I’ve learned there are many people in the world that need help.  I'll do my best to help everyone I can," I agreed with a smile.

 

"Words of wisdom to guide your life," Lizy added, startling me.

 

"Lizy, I didn't know you were there.  When did you come in?" I asked.

 

"About halfway through Miss Baker’s ‘People in Your Life' recitation," Lizy said as she moved up to take the seat next to me.  “She passes on those words of wisdom to every class she teaches, always on the last day of class.”

 

Both Lizy and I looked at Miss Baker.  She just sat behind her desk and smiled at us.

 

"If you're ready to go, we've got lots to do this afternoon," Lizy said

 

"Oh, wait just a moment," Miss Baker said as she removed a small gift-wrapped package from her desk.  "I have something for you Matilda."

 

With that, she handed me the package.  Not knowing quite what to do, I sat there holding the package.

 

"Thank you Miss Baker," I said.  "Um I don't know what to say."

 

"Well I do," said Lizy.  "You’ve already said thank you, now open it girl.”

 

I looked at Miss Baker; she nodded, agreeing with what Lizy had said.

 

What I found after I'd removed the wrapping paper was a small book, with the image of a star embossed on the cover.  The author’s name was in bold print across the bottom, Richard Paul Evans.  The title of the book I’d never heard of before "The Christmas Box.”  I looked up at Miss Baker, puzzled.

 

"Matilda, read this book frequently throughout your life.  This book I refer to as a treasure.  There is a valuable lesson to be learned from within its pages, which took me decades to learn.  I'm giving you ahead start.  Enjoy your life Matilda," Miss Baker said as she dried her eyes.  "It has been a please getting to know you my dear."  She said as she shook my hand.

 

“You must have really impressed Miss Baker,” Lizy said as she led me across the grass between the buildings.

 

“Why do you say that?” I asked.

 

“I’ve known Miss Baker for about four years now.  I’ve only known her to give that book to three other girls,” Lizy said.  “If she says that book is a treasure, then you'd better believe that it's something very special.”

 

I didn’t know what to say, I stopped where I was.  I looked at Lizy as she kept walking, and then I looked at the book in my hand.  Lizy noticed she was alone and came back to where I stood.

 

"Lizy, what is it about me that makes everyone think I’m so special?  After all, here’s a school with over a hundred students, just like me, knowing that they should be different than they are.  What is it that makes me so different?"

 

"Matilda, have you ever asked, why does the Sun come up in the East?" Lizy asked.

 

"Of course not, that's just the way it is," I answered.

 

"You're right Matilda, that's just the way it is.  So if you ask me to answer your questions 'What makes me different?  What makes me special?' I'll have to give you the same answer, that's just the way it is."

 

‘That's not an answer.  How can you answer a question like that, with that kind of an answer?  I mean that's like saying-‘

 

“Stop standing here like a statue Matilda.  We’ve got places to go, things to do and people to see,” Lizy said as she grabbed my arm, insisting that I start moving again.

 

"What are we doing back here," I asked Lizy as we entered my room.

 

"You've got to get changed,” Lizy said.

 

"But it’s not time for me to go home yet," I protested.

 

"Who said anything about going home?  Get your shoes and socks off while I get your gown out of the closest."

 

"Gown, what gown?"

 

"Matilda, have you ever worn pantyhose before?" Lizy asked without answering my question.

 

"No I haven't but what does that have to do with a gown?"

 

"That's okay I'll teach you how to put them on," Lizy called out from within my closest.

 

"Lizy, what are you talking about . . ." I started to ask, but became suddenly speechless as Lizy came out of my closest.

 

She was carrying a beautiful, long gown.  It was about the same color blue as my eyes.

 

"Matilda, I know you don't like undressing around other people, but we really don't have much time, there already waiting to do your hair and makeup.  So we need to hurry and get you changed."

 

"Who’s going to do my hair and makeup? Lizy what's going on?" I asked as I started to take off my shoes and socks.

 

"Matilda, are you the kind of person who reads the last chapter of a book first, to know how it ends before you read the book?"

 

"No, that takes all the fun out of it," I answered.

 

"Well then stop asking questions and just go with the flow, girl."

 

"But . . .”

 

"No buts, just get your skirt and blouse off so you can into these hose and get this gown on."


 


stories/222/images/Matildas_gown.jpgA little reluctantly, I did as Lizy asked.  She taught me how to put on the pantyhose, and then she helped me into the gown.  It was a beautiful gown, blue satin and aqua organza, split tulip sleeves lined in aqua green. Circling its waist was a sash with rows of rainbow-colored flower petals.  An absolutely stunning gown, simple but positively elegant.  I was admiring the gown and looking at myself in the mirror when Lizy pulled me back to reality by putting a pair of shoes in my hand; white, with a strap around the ankle and a three-inch heels.


 

"Come on girl we don't have time for that right now.  Get your shoes on and let's go."

 

Lizy led me down to the basement of the dormitory building where she helped me into what looked like a golf cart; she then drove down a tunnel. 

 

‘I didn’t know these buildings had basements; not to mention having interconnecting underground tunnels, I wonder how many of these buildings they have connected with underground tunnels?  There seem to be tunnels leading in directions where there aren’t school buildings.  More pieces to add to the puzzle.’

 

At the other end, we went through two doors, made several turns and finally came to stop at what appeared to be a beauty salon.  Who do you think I saw as we entered?

 

“Mrs. Reynolds, what are you doing here?” I asked as I gave her a hug.

 

“I teach here from time to time, Matilda.  I do some classes in makeup, hair care, and styling.  It’s good to see you again dear, how have you been?” Mrs. Reynolds asked.

 

“I’ve been doing just great.  This is really a wonderful school; I just wish I could tell my other friends about it, they’d be so jealous,” I said.

 

“Hey remember now, you can’t tell anybody about this school,” Mrs. Reynolds said.

 

“I know, I know, I just wish I could.  So why am I here with you?” I asked.

 

“I’m going to do your hair and makeup.  You don't think I'd let just anyone work on one of my girls do you?  We don’t have a lot of time so let’s get started.  Let’s put a smock over that gown shall we, we don’t want to mess it up now do we?”

 

Mrs. Reynolds is a magician.  In no time, she’d again transformed me into someone that you could easily mistake for a princess.  My makeup was exquisite; I looked like I was sixteen.  My wig had been restyled, putting most of it on top of my head with a French twist in the back and a single long twist down each side, framing my face.  The hairstyle reminded me of something I’d seen before, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

 

A short time later I was leaving the salon, being led by Lizy and accompanied by Mrs. Reynolds.  We hurried through several doors and finally into an elevator.  I suddenly remembered where I’d seen the hairstyle that I was now wearing; it reminded me of Eliza Doolittle from “My Fair Lady” at the embassy ball where she’s dancing with the prince.  We quickly went up two floors and as the doors opened I realized I was completely lost, I had no idea where I was other than I was somewhere within one of the buildings of Immigration Manor.  As we stepped out of the elevator, my heart stopped.  A short distance away, I saw a very handsome young man.  I mean this guy was a hunk and a half, definitely a ‘take me away with you handsome, I’m all yours' kind of guy.  Wait a second; I shouldn’t be having thoughts like this, after all, I’m only ten.  Oh, who cares!  Who is he and is there any way I can get into his arms for a few minutes?

 

“Matilda … Matilda," Lizy said, breaking my train of thought; I was again back in the real world.  “Matilda, I’d like to introduce you to your escort for the rest of the afternoon.  Matilda this is Joseph,” she said, as she turned me around.  I was suddenly face to face with THE HUNK.  “Joseph, this is my friend Matilda.”

 

“Mademoiselle Matilda, it is an ‘onor to meet you at last.  I ‘ave ‘eard so much about you,” Joseph said with a French accent, as he bent from the waist to kiss the back of my hand.

 

I almost fainted right there, Lizy caught me as I was starting to sway.

 

I turned to Lizy.  “He’s my escort for the rest of the afternoon?” I whispered, actually I think I squeaked.

 

“Yes Matilda,” Lizy chuckled.  “Joseph will escort you through the graduation ceremony and to the ball afterwards.”

 

“Uh Lizy, can I take him home with me?” I asked with a giggle, after I regained my normal voice.

 

Lizy and Mrs. Reynolds both broke out laughing.

 

“No Matilda, you most certainly may not take him home with you,” Mom said as she approached me from behind.

 

“Busted,” I whispered. 

 

“Oh, hi Mom.  Gee I didn’t know you were there,” I said trying to not look guilty, but only trying.

 

“Obviously! We’ll talk about this later young lady,” Mom said with a smile.

 

“Madam Covington I presume, it is an ‘onor to meet you,” Joseph said as he kissed her hand.

 

Mom giggled at that kind of attention from such a young man.  I'd never seen Dad do anything like that.

 

“Joseph you are such a smooth talker, aren't you?  Would you take Matilda back stage please?  The rest of us need to get into our seats, it’s almost time to start,” Mom asked.  "And Joseph, you behave yourself with my daughter."

 

“Of course Madame, I am always zhe gentlemen.  It would be my pleasure to escort such a beautiful young lady.  Mademoiselle Matilda, if you please,” Joseph said as he offered me his right elbow.  I gently took his elbow with my left hand; I couldn’t help myself as I giggled.

 

Joseph led me through a door.  We were obviously on a stage, behind all the curtains, but definitely on a stage.  Ellen saw us enter and quickly came over to us, along with a man I’d never seen before.

 

“Oh my stars, Matilda.  Amanda is right you do look like a princess.  Joseph, it’s a pleasure to see you again, we see you so seldom,” Ellen said.

 

“Madam ‘Annsen, the pleasure is mine,” Joseph replied as he kissed yet another hand.

 

“Joseph you’re filled with flattery today, aren’t you?” Ellen said.  “I’ll have to talk with that evil twin sister of yours, it’s a shame that we don’t get to see more of you.”

 

“Madame Ellen she is not evil, just ... overprotective,” Joseph replied with a chuckle.

 

“Matilda,” Ellen said.  “I’d like to introduce you to the schools acting administrator, Gregory Peterson.  He’s the one who actually approved your coming here and visiting with us.  Gregory, this is Matilda Covington.”

 

I let go of Joseph and did my best to curtsey, as Miss Adams had taught me.  “Mr. Peterson, it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.  I want to thank you for allowing me to come to this fine school.”

 

“Thank you Matilda,” Mr. Peterson said.  “The pleasure of having you here has been ours.  From what I’ve heard, it is we, that is, the school staff, we have learned almost as much from you, as you have learned from us.  Well, now that the introductions are over, shall we get started?  I’m sure everyone else is getting restless.”

 

“Who’s everyone else?” I asked.

 

“Everyone else at the school,” Mr. Peterson said.  “They’re all seated in the auditorium, waiting for this graduation ceremony to begin.”  With that, Mr. Peterson went through the curtains and disappeared.

 

“But who’s graduating?” I had to ask Ellen.

 

“Matilda, you’re graduating,” said Ellen.  “This is the first time someone from outside the school has been honored this way.  In addition, this is the first time anyone has completed girl 101 and 102 in only six days.  Mr. Peterson will go out on stage, make a little speech, then Joseph will escort you out to join him, Mr. Peterson will give you . . . You know, I don’t even know what he’s going to present to you, this has never happened before.  Anyway, then you’ll be allowed to speak if you want.  After that, there will be a gathering in the ballroom, so the other students and faculty can meet you.  There will also be music for those who care to dance.”

 

“Do I have to give a speech?” I asked nervously.

 

“No, Matilda, you don’t have to, just smile and say thank you to Mr. Peterson,” Ellen said with a smile to reassure me.  “Just hang on to Joseph if you get nervous out there, okay?”

 

“Thanks Ellen, this is all a bit more than I expected,” I said thankfully.

 

‘Well, that’s how my graduation ceremony went.  Get that, MY graduation ceremony; I’m a ten-year-old boy that just graduated into a ten-year-old girl.  Is this really happing or has the last ten days just been a wild dream?  I'm almost not sure any more which part is reality and which part is a dreame.  All I know for sure is that holding onto Joseph's right arm was all that kept me on my feet as I went on stage in front of the entire school.’ 

 

Mr. Peterson gave me another gift-wrapped package; which I opened later, when I can think about what I was doing.  Then Joseph escorted me off stage.  I think I was floating, I wasn’t even sure if my feet were actually touching the ground.  We went to the ballroom and just inside the door they had set up a receiving line consisting of Ellen, Mr. Peterson, Mom, Joseph and me.

 

I finally had a chance to open the gift Mr. Peterson had given me.  To my great surprise, I found another book, but not just any book.  I held in my hands ‘The Complete Sherlock Holmes’ by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  I immediately rushed over to Mr. Peterson.

 

“Oh! Mr. Peterson, thank you so much,” I said while holding the book tight against my chest.

 

“You’re quite welcome Matilda.  As I told you, it was our pleasure having you here,” Mr. Peterson said with a broad smile.

 

“He’s my favorite author, how did you know?” I asked.

 

Mr. Peterson, still smiling said, “A little bird told me.”

 

My expression changed slightly from joy to puzzlement, trying to figure out what he meant by that.  Mr. Peterson saw my expression and chuckled.

 

“Someone that knows you pretty well told me that you were fond of the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,” Mr. Peterson finally said.

 

“Thank you again,” I said graciously, as I went back to stand between Mom and Joseph. 

 

The students and faculty had already started coming in and most of them wanted to talk to me.  I didn’t know there were this many people here.  It seemed like a thousand, but I know from talking with Beca and the others early in the week that there are about one hundred and fifty students.  It just seemed to be a lot more.  I felt like my right hand was going to fall off as I shook hands with every student and the rest of the faculty and staff.  There was some music playing in the background, finally everyone had gone past and Joseph took that opportunity to ask me if I wanted to dance.  I was a little nervous but Mom said I should go ahead and have a good time.

 

As we were finishing our dance, the large clock at the end of the hall struck the hour; it was 2:00pm.  It seemed to me as if the clock was striking midnight and the fairy godmothers enchantment was about to come to a close, and Cinderella’s gown was about to change back into rags. 

 

“Mademoiselle Matilda,” Joseph said.  “It looks like our time together is to be cut very short.  At least I may escort you back to your room so you can change.”  Joseph then offered me his arm and escorted me out of the hall.  The trip back to my room seemed to take hours.  When we arrived at my room, Joseph entered with me and started getting my clothes out for me.

 

“Um Joseph,” I said shyly.  “Would you please wait outside while I change?”

 

“My dear Matilda,” Joseph said, “You ‘ave not been shy about changing your clothes with me around since Monday morning.  Why the sudden change?”

 

Two seconds later, I jumped on Joseph.  “Beca,” I screamed.  “Why you sneaky little scoundrel you, how dare you leave me like that this morning.  Making me think that I never see you again, never get to properly say good bye, how could you?”

 

“Mademoiselle Matilda,” Joseph stammered.  “Please control yourself.  Do I look anything like this Beca person of whom you speak?”

 

“Of course not and I don’t look like a Matthias, but your still Beca and I'm going to hug the stuffing out of you until you confess,” I squealed, hugging Joseph like there was no tomorrow.

 

“All right, all right, let go of me you crazy little munchkin,” Beca cried.  It was indeed Beca, the French accent was gone, and it was definitely Beca’s voice.

 

“Munchkin?  Am I really as small as a munchkin?” I asked while still hugging Beca.

 

“Well, maybe you’re not quite as small as a munchkin, but it sounded good at the time,” Beca giggled.

 

“All right, I guess that can work, Matilda the munchkin.  Karen did say I needed a new nickname.  She said that squirt was ok for Matt, but it just doesn’t sound right for Matilda.  I think she’ll like munchkin,” I said while laughing and changing my clothes.

 

Joseph escorted me back to Mom’s office.  It was already 2:45 so we had to hurry.  I barely had time to give Joseph a proper hug goodbye, as well as say farewell to Ellen and the others who were there.  Then Mom and I were off, we got home and I carefully put away my two books, before I changed back into Matt.  Friday had ended and tomorrow was Mary Beth’s birthday party, and until Mom could convince Dad that I really needed to be a girl, it would be the last time I would be able to dress and be the person that in my heart I knew I was.


I couldn't help myself as I cried myself to sleep that night.

 

**** To be continued ****

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments are gratefully appreciated, either left below or sent to me at

 

[email protected]

 

Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2006 Penny Reed Cardon. All rights reserved.