Menu Load Error

- Text Size +

Get those girls into uniform!

 

It was a quiet Sunday in Midford, a small English market town, the pedestrianised centre allowed shoppers to window shop on a quieter crisp January day with a beautiful blue sky after an overnight frost.

Susan Jenkins was the manager of the local branch of ‘Go!’ a travel agency. She didn’t normally work at the weekend but there was a lot of work to do to prepare a promotion to encourage people to book their holidays early. She had asked her son Jack to help with the lifting and carrying of material that had been delivered the previous day. The agency was normally staffed with the manager, her deputy and six advisors, company policy, entirely contrary to employment law, was to only employ girls for the advisor role. This was why Sue couldn’t employ Jack, but today she was missing two staff, one had been granted exceptional leave and the other was sick. Sue knew they could have coped normally but the extra work in the fit out had persuaded her to bring Jack in to help.

Jack Jenkins, Sue’s son was a lost soul, he had failed his A-levels so hadn’t gone to Uni. This was down to a lack of drive and not knowing what to do with himself rather than lack of intelligence. He’d been unable to find much work, a bit of driving or shelf stacking but most employers realised he was too clever to want to stay and moved him on after a few weeks. He loved his mother, father and older sister Emily and they were concerned for his career.

One thing Jack was good at was cycling, he was never going to win Le Tour but enjoyed reasonable regional success and the exercise kept him fit and trim and gave a purpose to his life.  He aspired to the surfer dude look and kept his blond wavy hair long and his look casual. He had a girlfriend from school, she had also failed to achieve the expected grades and was working as a trainee at a local hair salon. She was soon practising on Jack, keeping his hair well groomed despite his casual attitude.

Go!’s (all female) staff wore a smart uniform of a tangerine silky blouse and complimentary orange/ brown skirt and waistcoat.  All finished off with a silk scarf in the corporate colours. Normally they arrived in uniform, there was a matching tailored outdoor jacket, but today as the storeroom was dusty, they had come in dressed casually in jeans and sweatshirts intending to change later before the agency opened.  Many of the girls knew Jack well having seen him with his mother as he grew up so they were more than happy to work with him moving and unpacking the Caribbean Cruise holiday promotion. There were posters and trim items featuring the various companies involved along with more esoteric items such as palm trees, lifebelts and nautical pennants.

Sue had made Jack and the others wear baseball caps to keep their hair from getting messed by the dust so as they moved about the shop and into the window there wasn’t a lot of difference in the  appearance of all those working on the display, particularly when Linda, Sue’s second in command had jokingly gathered Jack’s hair and clipped the hat’s adjuster around it to make a ponytail as some of the girls had done. All the activity was closely observed by a smartly dressed man making notes while sat in his 5-series BMW parked in a service road just across the road from the shop.

In the shop the work was progressing but Sue was starting to worry as the opening time was approaching and they had not quite finished. She asked her deputy Linda and three of the advisors to get themselves ready leaving Jack and Lizzie to complete the dirty work.  The girls released from the setting-up soon washed and brushed themselves to look smart and donned their uniforms. The remaining two were getting to the final boxes, and as it turned out, the dirtiest part of the storeroom. Lizzie was not pleased to have dirty streaks on her face and when Jack joked with her about it she made sure he looked just as bad by rubbing her mucky hands on his cheeks. They were laughing about this when at 11:00 they heard a strong knock on the shop door.

Linda went to answer the door fully intending to put the customer off as they weren’t quite ready to open as a few boxes hadn’t been cleared away, however when she saw who it was she let the visitor in immediately.

Albert Johnson the Go! regional manager was the sort of boss who liked to give an impression of never being content, excellence was just about good enough, average was failure. So when he walked in on the agency at opening time he expected everything to be perfect, Sue knew they weren’t quite there and what his reaction would be. He looked approvingly at the girls already in uniform and at their desks, but was less pleased at the appearance of Jack and Lizzie, laughing and joking, carrying the last boxes out onto the shop floor.  He motioned for them to stay where they were then inspected the shop décor. Sue hurriedly lined up all of the staff at the rear of the shop while Albert made his way around making notes.  Linda could see Sue trembling expecting some scathing comment or maybe worse.

“I have some observations.” Said Albert.

“Can I just…” Sue tried to explain but Albert’s hand rose quickly to indicate she should stop talking.

“One. We always open at 11:00, this shop is not safe or ready for customers.”

Sue made to talk but the hand was already raised.

“Two. The display is nearly complete and looks really good, thank-you for your efforts. I appreciate that either we at head office not have allocated enough time for this to be done or this agency requires some retraining. I will review the notes I have made this morning while observing you.  Also from memory you appear to be one staff down. I will discuss this with Mrs Jenkins later.”

“Three.  We have two staff not in uniform during working hours. I understand the reasoning why these two ladies are dressed casually and I observed the rest of you changing before opening but this is a final warning. Get these two into uniform and this shop ready for business. I am going to the coffee shop now, I will return in 30 minutes. I expect all will be as it should be by then.”

With that he left, the staff didn’t see the wry smile as he closed the door behind him, ‘be mean to keep them keen’ he thought mischievously. 

Linda could see Sue appeared close to tears so she took charge.

“Everyone, quickly, help Jack & Lizzie finish the work, get these packing crates cleared away and get this shop ready to do business. “

She then took Sue by the arm and guided her to her office at the same time pointing to one of the other girls to get coffees for them.

To Jack, caught up in the rush to finish there was no implication, but Lizzie had realised that there was a major problem or an opportunity for some fun.  “Well Jacqueline, we’ll need to find you a uniform won’t we?” she said.

“Ha Ha, very funny but no need, I’ll just get gone once I’ve finished.” Jack replied with a smile. Lizzie looked serious and led him into the locker room

“Jack, I’m not kidding. Albert, sorry Mr Johnson, said we two ‘ladies’ had to be in uniform when he returned. Problem for you is this firm doesn’t employ boys in the agencies so a) you shouldn’t be here and b) the only uniforms we have are skirts and blouses.”

“Yeah but, Mum’ll sort it out.”

“No but, your Mum’ll get in trouble if they find out you’re here and she’ll be in trouble if the girl Albert thought he saw isn’t wearing a uniform. “

“Yeah but, no but”

“Enough Little Britain, we haven’t much time. Fortunately we all have spare uniforms and I think you’re about the same size as me. Go strip off and wash your hands and face and I’ll get some things together. We’ve all got a bin-bag for our dirty clothes.”

Jack was so stunned by the situation he just complied, what else could he do?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Insert Sue in the office

“Have you worn tights before?” Asked Lizzie.

“Err, well, yes.” Jack replied. Lizzie smiled. “No not like that! I mean we use them in winter under the leggings when we’re cycling.”

“Your secret’s safe with me. OK take these to that cubicle and get yourself comfy.” She handed him a pair of black opaque tights, black cotton panties and the uniform skirt. “The waistband has an adjustment if you struggle, just shout if you need help. I’ll get ready out here. Oh and take these for footwear, I keep them here in case it’s been raining, they stretch so should fit OK.” She put the pair of black ballet flats on the top of the clothes he had.

“Thanks, I think” he replied.

“You’ll be fine, I’m sure we can make you more than passable.”

Jack sat in the cubicle holding the clothes Lizzie had given him. There didn’t seem to be much option, and wearing the tights was not unfamiliar to him in fact he had found he quite liked it and would leave them on for a while after his winter cycle rides.

The panties were OK he was used to wearing forma fitting underwear under cycling leggings and the tights were good quality M&S with a nice gloss finish. He was careful to bunch them up before pulling them gently up his legs. He usually only shaved in summer but there wasn’t much leg hair and the tights were thick enough to cover what there was. The skirt was lined and slightly tight on his waist so he eased off the waistband a little. It’s close fit also revealed a little too much at the front so after a bit of thought he adjusted his equipment back between his legs. It was a little uncomfortable at first but soon settled and looked more appropriate. The feel of the satin like material on the glossy tights was very nice indeed. 

“You OK?” Lizzie called after a few minutes.

“Ready as I ever will be, are you decent?” Jack responded.

“Out you come cheeky.” She replied.

He emerged in the skirt and tights, a very unfamiliar feeling. He was surprised to find two girls accompanying Lizzie who was already fully dressed and touching up her makeup in the mirror.

“Don’t look so worried, Evie is good at styling hair and Marie will do your makeup, I’ll fix your nails. Now sit down here.” Lizzie got up from the chair in front of the mirror once she had finished her own look with lipstick.

Jack felt he didn’t have a choice, he didn’t want to get his mother into trouble, so just did as he was told. He had noticed in the past that the girls always had professional looking makeup, a bit like air stewardesses, it must be a company requirement.

“This won’t be perfect, we haven’t got enough time but we don’t want you to stand out from the rest of us, fortunately you’ve shaved today and I think I can do something with this hair.” Said Evie

“Now close your eyes and thing of England. It won’t hurt a bit, well not much anyway” Lizzie was teasing. “Put your hands on the table and I’ll stick these false nails on.”

Jack felt his hair being pulled by a brush and heard and smelt hairspray along with the various creams and pencils on his face. After Lizzie had finished his nails she asked him to raise his hands and he felt a bra being fitted then filled with some padding and re-positioned. After that the blouse, which Lizzie buttoned for him as the girls were still working. This was followed with the waistcoat and the silk scarf. The feel of the bra and the way his extended chest fitted in the tailored blouse was very unusual. 

“OK open your eyes.” Marie was adding mascara now. Now she handed him a lipstick. “I’ve outlined your lips just fill in don’t overdo it, then blot on this tissue.” Jack did as he was told then Marie painted on a gloss coat.

“A couple of final touches.” Jack felt his earlobes pinched. “Don’t worry they’re just clip-ons I’ve been too much of a wimp to get mine pierced.” Lizzie smiled at the beautified boy, then pinned a name badge on him. Jacqueline was born.

“I look like my sister…” Jack said as he stared at his image in the mirror. “This is very weird.” The girl in the mirror was not a beauty by any means but certainly didn’t look like a boy. The uniform and the makeup combined to present a feminine image. “I could do a lot better with more time.” Said Marie “but you’ll fool most men.”

“Excellent work girls.” Said Lizzie.

The door opened and Linda came in. “I wondered where you’d all got to. Are you finished with the stock and ready for work now Lizzie?”

“Yes all sorted.” Lizzie replied. “Marie & Evie have been helping.”

“Thanks girls. What’s happened to Jack, is he still in the storeroom? We’ll have to get him out before Mr Johnson arrives.”  Linda was looking worried.

“It’s OK, we’ve taken care of Jack.” Replied Lizzie as she spun ‘Jacqueline’ in the chair to face Linda. “May I present your new member of staff.”

“Oh my, oh my dear, what have they done to you?” Linda was taken aback but saw the funny side and smiled warmly at the feminised boy.

Jack smiled back. “I’m trying a new look. You like?”

“Mr Johnson did say to get both of those girls into uniform and we thought you’d have had to explain why Jack was working here.” Lizzie explained.

“I think his Mum was planning to tell the truth.” Said Linda thoughtfully. “OK. OK. We are where we are, there’s no time to change him back, let’s go with it, I think it will make Sue smile at the very least. If Mr J figures it out we’ll just say we were following orders, I’ll take the hit if there’s any blame. Let’s get our new girl out there quickly so the inevitable surprise and fuss has died down before ‘you know who’ arrives.”

Linda took ‘Jacq’ by the hand. “Come on you, you’re either brave or daft or both. I’ll do a quick presentation to your colleagues and your mum and then get you onto some screen work at a desk at the back of the shop, which should lower your profile. Remember  small delicate steps, move with grace and elegance, head up and keep your voice light ”

They walked out together, everyone but Sue knew what was happening so they were looking to see what the girls had managed to do to Jack.

“Ladies may I present your new colleague for today only. Give them a twirl Jacqueline.”

‘Jacq’ spun on the ball of her foot and got a round of applause from the girls.

“He’s lovely” said one.

“Now everyone, please be aware that until Mr J has gone HER name is Jacqueline and SHE is one of us so please be careful. We need to keep her with as low a profile as possible to avoid detection.”

The commotion had attracted Sue’s attention so she was already opening her office door as Linda brought ‘Jacq’ to see her. She looked out and saw a gaggle of her girls in their uniforms, until ‘Jacq’ turned to face her and they made eye contact. “Oh my giddy aunt, get yourself in here young errr lady, you too Linda.”  

‘Jacq’ and Linda followed Sue back into her office and she closed the door behind them.

“What on earth is going on here? Have I not got enough stress?” Sue was getting emotional again.

Linda spoke up first “This isn’t Jack’s fault, he was taken over by Lizzie and she thought she was helping and protecting you. I’ve told her and the others that helped that I appreciate their intentions were good but it wasn’t the wisest course of action. I will take responsibility for any fallout.”

“Mum, Mr Johnson said we two had to get into uniform, Lizzie was worried that he would spot a boy working on-site against company policy and so she asked me to do this. It seemed like the safest way out. I look OK as a girl if I keep in the background we should get away with it.” Jack had thought he was helping, now he felt he’d made things worse.

“Oh my boy what am I going to do with you? I really do appreciate your help this morning and I’m sure you didn’t follow this course of action lightly. How do you feel?”

“It’s a strange feeling of comfort, discomfort and the makeup is very odd I’m very aware of the makeup on my eyes and face. I’m sorry Mum I thought Lizzie’s idea would help you.”

“Well if it works, it will. There’s no time for you to change now and you are right we have the same compliment of staff as when Mr J arrived this morning. He will see an agency full of female staff as he likes it. You are convincing as a girl at first glance which should be enough for today, your sister will think she has a twin. If you’re going to take it up full time we’ll need to improve a few things.”

“Muuum this is a one-off!” Jack replied

“Only kidding, I’m getting my MoJo back. Thanks darling, I do appreciate what you have tried to do. Now remember it’s Sue or Mrs Jenkins for the rest of the day until I get my son back.” A loud knock and the agency door opening announced the return of Albert Johnson. “OK Linda, take care of HER, I’ll deal with cheery chops. Take care.”

“Yes Mrs Jenkins.” ‘Jacq’ smiled as she left the office, Linda quickly directing her past Mr Johnson  to a data processing terminal and started to instruct how to input the customer data from booking forms.

Albert had knocked and entered without waiting to be admitted. He found the agency neat and tidy, the staff were all present and correctly attired. “Much better everyone.” He said as he walked towards Sue’s office pausing to let Sue’s deputy Linda and a staff member leave.

“That was test one.”  Whispered Linda to ‘Jacq’. “He didn’t appear to notice anything untoward, has he met you before?”

“No, only my dad at an evening do, I’ve heard he’s like a breath of hot air. All bluster and less substance.”

“Right then, use my sign in and I want you to enter these hand written forms into the database, I’ll show you how to link the customer references. When you’ve finished, come over to me for some more. We’ll try to keep you in the background but if a customer asks for help find the appropriate brochure then get me, Lizzie or one of the other girls to help. You can sit in with me later, hopefully Mr. J will be gone soon.”

“Is he going to give mu..sorry Mrs. Jenkins a hard time?”

“Probably not, I think he feels he has to be seen to be authoritative.” Linda smiled and tried to calm the nervous boy. “Are you OK now?”

“Yes while the clothes fit OK, they still feel a bit strange, the bra particularly. It’s a strange mix of light and smooth with a bit of restriction.” ‘Jacq’ replied

“Have you ever worn a skirt before?”

“No, I’ve never even been to a fancy dress party although I am used to cycling leggings and tights.”

“OK, I’m sure you’ll be fine, you will find typing with shaped nails is fun too.”

 

“Hello again Mrs. Jenkins.” Albert Johnson strode into Sue’s office

“Good morning to you Mr. Johnson. Please take a seat.”

“No, not just yet, I shall march up and down and wave my arms in an aggressive manner, I may even feel the need to point at the sales chart.”

“Albert, you are a wicked man.” Sue kept a stern expression.

“Sue, I know, but this is the bit where you’re supposed to be frightened of me, remember.”

“Oh yes I forgot, however I think my staff are suitably intimidated now.”

“Did you do your ‘close to tears’ routine?”

“Of course, you trained me well. Shall we pretend to look at some documents on my desk while we chat?”

“Excellent idea, I’ll wait a while then I can frighten your new girl by asking for some drinks.”

“Naughty. Do you like the display then? It did take longer than we thought and there was a lot of dusty packaging.”

“I’ve been observing from when you opened, head office had a clean storeroom and more people who knew the material. Just as well you had your lad in to help then, he’s scrubbed up quite well hasn’t he?”

“Yes with Lizzie and Linda’s help it looks like we might have a new member of staff, thanks for your suggestion after I mentioned I’d found he appeared to like wearing tights.” Sue finally smiled. “I knew I couldn’t employ him directly but your plan has worked well so far.”

“He doesn’t know I’m going to say I’m locating myself here for a while does he?”

“Only after we’ve shown you all the staff including him on rota for the week, he thinks that you’re only here for part of today.”    

“Sue, you are well on the way to being as wicked as me. Time for coffee I think.”

The End. (Complete)
Amanda Walker is the author of 3 other stories.